1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word Templates not calculating

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by danjab, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danjab

danjab Thread Starter

Hello all,

Attached are two documents that I cannot get to calculate. Can you help me figure out why?

Thanks,

Dan Jablons
    www.rstcimprov.com

Attached Files:

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

Checked the first attachment. Seems to work OK once you check the "Calculate on Exit" property for the Unit Price fields.

HTH,
    Andy

3. bedardyv

bedardyv

Try the update field when printing , has to be check in tools, option , print tab

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What might not be clear from the two replies you've received:

In order for fields to *calculate* in a Word document, they must be *updated* or *refreshed*. There are many ways to accomplish that. One is manually: Hit Ctrl+A and then F9.

The easy way is to choose the calc on exit as indicated by XL Guru, but this will only update those fields that are dependent on those that are checked and not necessarily ALL fields in the document, which is usually desired.

Another way is to print preview or print the document. However, this does not take effect unless, as bedardyv pointed out, the box is checked on the print tab.

Hope that clarifies for anyone searching. :)

5. danjab

danjab Thread Starter

OK, those tips definitely helped. One last thing. If you look at the attachment, there is one issue left. I put a subtotal in. Then I have a place for shipping, tax, and other. The grand total seems to include the subtotal and the tax, but not shipping and other. I have searched through the properties of these and I can't figure out why they won't add to the grand total at the bottom.

You guys have been so great! Thanks for the help.

Best,

Dan Jablons
    www.rstcimprov.com

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If you're talking the PO, I just checked it out. Select the subtotal formfield and give it a bookmark name, like STOne, then select the tax thing and put STTwo... name each of the fields you're adding up, then put:

=STOne+STTwo... like that.

Right now, probably due to inserting or deleting rows in the table while you set it up, Word likely does not see the cells as you have assigned them in the formula. Cell refs really only work in Word calculations if you've perfectly created the table the first time... after that, to my knowledge, there are macros out there that will tell you what cell you're in, but what a PITA when you can just assign bookmark names to your fields and add them up instead. :) Hope that finalizes it for ya, but let us know if it does not.

7. danjab

danjab Thread Starter

Perfect, thanks!

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Cool beans.
    :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice