1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word with Works Suite 2002

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by carole, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carole

carole Thread Starter

I don't know what I did but in my word I downloaded a template. There was no problem there. But I want to remove it now and don't know how. Also I keep getting a message that it is locked by me being the editor. Can you help me get rid of it thanks.:confused:

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Search your hard drive for *.dot files.

You should be able to find one dated unlike the others, or perhaps you'll recognize its name. Just delete it.

I'm changing the title of your question because it is not referred to as Word 6.0, which is a very old version of the "real" Word. I believe if you open Word and hit Help-About Word, you'll find you have Word 2002.

3. carole

carole Thread Starter

I will see if that works. Thanks for such FAST info. Also while Im here maybe you can direct me to a good defragmenter besides the one that came with puter. I tried scan3.1 but didn't like it and also where do I go to get someone to tell me what files are spyed on it my puter . Thanks again.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sorry, carole. I don't recommend downloading any additional software to do the things Windows already has built in. You might want to check the Windows forum, tho.

I'm just personally not much of a downloader....

If it takes a long time to defrag, just leave your 'puter on overnight and let it run.

Check here for some more info:

www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm

Good luck.

5. carole

carole Thread Starter

Oops. Your dealing with a not too bright person here, when it comes to puters. How do I check my hard drive for the dot files.
    I went to find files and folders and typed in *.dot files but not there. Thanks

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You're not viewing all your files.

Open Windows explorer.
    Tools-Folder options
    View tab
    Make sure nothing is "hiding file extensions"
    Make sure you're viewing "system files" and "hidden files"

:)

PS: Being bright has nothing to do with anything. You're not afraid to ask, and that is what will keep you learning! I'm still learning after years of this *&^%$!

7. carole

carole Thread Starter

I will give that a try and again thank you so very much. Your help is really appreciated. Its nice people like you that makes it nicer for others. have a good nite. Will keep you informed about your help. Bye for now.:)

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Anytime. Thanks for your kind words. It's askers like you that keep me willing to provide answers.

Not everybody is so nice!

I'll be waiting to hear how it all works out for you.

9. carole

carole Thread Starter

Can't seem to find it. Only place is is my documents. It won't let me delete it. Access denied.

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    1. You cannot delete it if Word is open because Word ALWAYS uses the normal.dot file.

2. If Word is not open, it may still be active. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and look in the Applications list. If it's there, end task on it, then try deleting normal.dot again.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice