1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word XP templates and file size

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Annie_01, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Annie_01

Annie_01 Thread Starter

Hi I hope some of you Word experts can help me. I'm creating some core templates in word that will allow users to create general reports/letters that I have pre-formatted.
    I created new templates that fully utilise styles that I have detailed and inserted fields that run off updates in Properties to allow the user to customise titles/dates and confidentiality info per document.
    The header in the template displays two logos and the title page has a logo image inserted as a header and formatted to 'behind text'. The images inserted were initially jpegs and I have played around with using them as .tifs.

There are two issues...one is that these documents will be converted to pdfs and usually sent electronically but may be printed occasionally, so file size and image quality are both issues.
    Second issue is that the file size for these templates seems to be all over the place...why is a document with no text or images already several hundred kbs? and then why is one of my bigger (but not that big) templates showing size of 12mb!? and when I open it in apps/microsoft/templates it forces a document to open and asks me to save as new document..when I do this the new document shows size of 800 kb not 12mb although both are identical in function etc.?

Can anybody shed some light on templates and file size and the the best way to enter images into a template to get economics of 'small enough' files with decent quality?
    Please can anyone help me...the file sizing seems so random!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Templates:
    To OPEN a template, Right-click and choose Open.
    To USE a template, double-click it. It creates a COPY of the template.
    This is CORRECT behavior of a template.

File size:
    My guess is that you should open that template. Cut each picture and Edit-Paste special, As a picture (enhanced metafile).

OR open the original pictures in a graphics program and save them as JPG. TIFs suck (sorry).

If you don't have a good graphics program, send them to [email protected] and tell me what size(s) you'd like to print them.

Wherever possible, make the graphics formatted to be "in line with text."

3. Annie_01

Annie_01 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Dreamboat. Good advice as usual. I had been double clicking on the template...

about the pics...I run photoshop so can make them jpegs there...have had so much conflicting advice about using jpegs, gifs and tifs...but from no one that knows Word well enough. Two of my graphics are not in line with text so I could position them where I wanted...might be able to get away with them in line..does it really make quite a bit of difference to size? I didn't realise that.

Thanks for the help
    Annie

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I find JPGs work great, in general. Not a difference in size if you in line with text, so much as some people experience problems with them moving around.

Another clue IMHO: If you use drawing objects, always make them in a separate doc, group them, then copy the (now) one object and paste special as a picture into the real Word doc. Save the drawn object file for editing later if you think you might.

5. Annie_01

Annie_01 Thread Starter

Thanks again for the advice - I will group my logos together...more good advice

Cheers,
    Annie

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sorry, Annie. I don't mean GRAPHIC files. I mean the ones you draw with the drawing toolbar. So, unless you drew your logos with the drawing toolbar, don't group them. But if you did, then, yes, move it to another DOC or PPT (I find PPT easier to draw in, actually) and group, then copy/paste into your doc. But save it as it is in PPT in case you need to edit it later. :)

7. Annie_01

Annie_01 Thread Starter

oh...no these are graphics...they're logos that've been done by a contract graphic designer and he's provided different sized logos as AI, Tif and some Jpegs....I'm trying to make my desired logo the correct size and convert to jpeg in photoshop and then insert into my front page of the doc. When I do this, I'm getting the dreaded red x in the corner where the pic should be. I really hate working with graphics...ahhhh !!!

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice