1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word XP Unwanted Install

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bobroosth, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

A client's copy of Word XP recently started asking for the installation CD so it could install a new feature. If she cancels, she can use Wrod just fine. But it annoying to click through.

Unfortunately she purchased the computer used and did not get the installation CDs. And I do not have the specific version of Office XP that was used.

Does anyone know of a registry hack that will kill this?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you knew just what it was trying to install, the hunt would be easier.

The other problem is, the software is not legal. Without the COA and disks, the software should not have been left on the PC. If it was specifically included in the sale, then the CDs and COA should be supplied.

3. Miz

Miz

4. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

Yes, I know the CDs should be with the system. In this case, the current user took over the computer from a work collegue who had it at home. The collegue died and the current user is far too ignorant to have any idea what she should have collected with the computer. GOK where the CDs went.

Thanks for the link to MS. I rarely have much luck writing a knowledgebase query that turns up the correct article.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Bob. I've found technet to be a PITA. I generally try exact error messages and, otherwise, just two or 3 words. Also, make sure you're viewing more than 25 articles if it returns many possibilities.

Also, the software still is not legal. She should be made aware of that.

What is the new feature it's trying to install?

6. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

She's not trying to install anything (at least she is not aware of doing so). Last week the Word started this on its own.

I will look up the cost of what she needs and see what she says. She can keep clicking Cancel. Word does work.

FYI, the link to MS was for Office 2000, not Office XP (2003). The equivalent tool for XP does not have the Language Tool that seems to work for O2K....

Still, I did not know about the Office Resource Kit. Might come in useful elsewhere.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Excuse me, Bob. Office XP IS Office 2002.

Office 2003 is NOT Office XP. Thus far, I've only seen it referred to as Office 2003, with no other "nickname".

You stated that she is using Word XP, which means Word 2002. So, I'm completely confused now as to what version you need help with... sorry.
    :(

8. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

No, must have been confused. It is version 10.0. I suppose that is Office XP not 2003. Damn MS and their multiple names for the same product.

Sorry....

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No problem. It's damn confusing...

Listen, in your first post above, you stated:

asking for the installation CD so it could install a new feature

We need to know the EXACT message that comes up.

10. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

OK, that will require another visit. I looke at it today, but can't quote it verbatim. I'll get back to you.

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It's a pain...sorry. But sometimes there's just no place to turn unless we know...

I hate to give you steps to really take apart Word when it could be something really stupid.

While you're there, you might want to hit Start-Run and type msconfig, go to the Startup tab and tell us what is CHECKED in there.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice