1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by peterrn, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I tied to replace all my Word docs with Libre office and followed all the steps. I changed the default to .doc and the font to a MS one.
    When I used the wizard to convert the 268 files, it was a mixture of Word and Libre.
    I then performed a system recovery so I am OK but, why did this happen?
    What did I do wrong. My Word security runs out in 2020 so I thought I would give Libre Office a shot and get used to it. I guess it is $ 160.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

Try using SoftMaker Office. It's a better alternative than LibreOffice. LibreOffice doesn't have any motive to be Microsoft Office alternative compared to SoftMaker Office.

3. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Some of my files are .docx and some are .doc. I may have a few .rtf.
    Should I make them all one extension and if so which should it be? There are 286 files.

Also, I am looking to be able to get a way to use Word without buying it from MS- will this be able to change defaults to .doc instead of the default from SoftMaker Office?

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I have Libre Office installed on a Windows platform, but I seldom use it because I have an older Office 2000 installed ( the computer is offline only )

Won't Libre Office open, write and save to .doc/.docx and .rtf files?
    If so, why change formats?

5. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I guess I had the wrong idea I thought I was supposed to convert all the files in Libre writer to an acceptable extension like.. Then I can remove Microsoft Office

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'd suggest you keep MS Office for a while and see if you're comfortable using LibreOffice to work with existing MS Office files.
    You might even consider keeping MS Office in case you run into a file format that LibreOffice doesn't work well with.

My sister has told me in the past PowerPoint files work better in MS Office/Powerpoint, so there is that if you work with PP files.

7. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I was considering paying the 160 4 home and student which I now have and will expire soon however I found that those files are actually online and no longer stored within the computer which I really don't like it seems I'm stuck

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'm not familiar with the new subscription Office model where files are saved on a cloud network.
    Can't you download all those files and save them to your computer before the subscription runs out?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You absolutely can download the files, I assume they are in OneDrive? Just install OneDrive on the computer, sync all the files down, then copy them to another folder on your computer such as the Documents folder. Leave a copy in the OneDrive folder as its a good backup until your subscription runs out.

Also as mentioned above there is no need to convert any files, the files can be opened using LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and any other word processor.

10. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-MP3IPPH
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model XPS 8300
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 10/17/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    BaseBoard Product 0Y2MRG
    BaseBoard Version A00
    Platform Role Workstation
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.1"
    User Name DESKTOP-MP3IPPH\prime
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 5.98 GB
    Available Physical Memory 3.29 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.61 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.52 GB
    Page File Space 1.63 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I want to use Libre Writer instead of Office Home and Student 2010 but cannot figure how to get all my 268 files to libre from MS.
    I watched a lot of YouTube to no avail and when I tried the wizard it was jumbled files.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    My understanding of Libre Writer is that one can just open any and all MS Office files.

Have you tried opening any of these files from within Libre Writer?
    If so what happens?

12. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I installed Libre Writer. I then used the wizard to import my files>disaster.
    I do know how to set the default to MS 2006 etc but did not know if I should set that default before or after the wizard.
    I want too use these files as though they were in MS Office as my 2010 will expire soon and I want to get used to working with doc or docx files in Libre. Setting that default is easy but getting the files to Libre from MS not so easy.
    I cannot afford MS subscriptions and don't like the cloud so would like to use Libre with my docs like I did with MS.

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You have not addressed my questions, you need to do as asked, then I can continue?

14. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I opened the wizard in Libre writer and it did not work as it should -I had a bunch of unusable files with different extensions. I hope that answers your queries.
    I hate to beg but after 4 cancer surgeries and at 80 I am doing the best I can.

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice