word97 ~ an evil bit of programming!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aliisa

Banned
Problem ~ whenever I type a url or email address into Word97 it automatically recreates the text as a hyperlink. I've crawled all over for a tick box to disable this dastardly function but I can't find it. Any clues?

Secondly, if I create a line across part of the the page, like ~~~~~~~~ for example, it automatically stretches it to the full page width. Can I stop it doing this too?

Thirdy, there is a wavy line that sits at the bottom of the text, which I can move by adding space/text but which I cannot select to delete. Whatever it's function (?), I wish to remove it.

I won't ask why it occasionally crashes when I cut and paste!

from Off2000, not sure if it works for Off97

Turn on or off automatic formatting of hyperlinks

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.

Under Replace as you type, select or clear the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks check box.
===========
~~~~~~
- is the format justify?
-try using left or adding a paragraph break ('enter')

===========
can't help with the wavy line - mine shows just a short bar, indicating where the end of the text is

try opening your normal.dot and see if it's a character or space that snuck in there

file
open
(C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates) normal.dot

aliisa

Banned
Ok, turned off the automatic formatting of hyperlinks and hey, it's stopped (relief!).

The ~~~~~~. No, the format isn't justify, it's left. But this problem has now gone away (I unticked most of the Autocomplete boxes so it looks like I hit the right box by default).

The wavy line. I opened normal.dot but there's nothing in there but an 'end of text' underscore. However, I found (quite by accident) that on deleting a single line of text higher up the page then it disappeared with it. It reappeared with it too, though I've no idea why.

So, a 100% success, even if I don't really know all the why's!

Thanks for the help ~ shelley.

ps. Now, about that cut & paste problem . . .

Originally posted by shelley
ps. Now, about that cut & paste problem . . .
i recall word97 did that a lot too
was running a P200, W95, 32Mb ram - crash and freeze constantly

i'm running Office2000 with Windows98SE, 256 Mb ram etc
- very stable and smooth

i have to work hard to get crashes and freezes now!

upgrading os or memory etc could be the answer

aliisa

Banned
Hhmmm, noted this ~

450 PIII, 256 Ram, 8 Gb hdd, W98SE, Cable, 60W desklamp

Ditto, except for W95 and 40W lamp. Should I upgrade the bulb?

aliisa

Banned
Ho ho ho. Good question, but as usual, the answer to that is that compatibility never crossed the Atlantic. We use bayonet over here. I know what you're thinking, whatever happened to Plug and Play, huh?

Maybe Microsoft has a patch for it . . .

aliisa

Banned
And in respect to "life is like crossing the road, some of us look right when the bus is coming from the left........", that would be pretty good advice for any American coming over here because that's usually where they'd be coming from!

wen

i've been to ipswich, to watch the speedway, it was foggy.

we must be posh in the black country, we have bayonet or screw fitting bulbs.

wen, stourbridge, west midlands, england, great britain, uk.

aliisa

Banned
wen, I was directing the comment more to our American cousins who frequent these pages more than we Brits do.

Screw, or "Edison", bulbs are usually only found on imported US/Far East products. They are certainly not standard over here, even in 'posh' stourbridge, west midlands, england, great britain, uk (posh stourbridge ~ nah, now that's what they call a contradiction in terms!! And it wouldn't be Ipswich which is foggy, that would be the visitors, ho ho)

. . . and or those with hard of hearing, the UK is in Europe (somewhere to the left of Belgium, I think :rolleyes: )

wen

we've even got halogen, with those little two pronged contacts, i'm sure you'll tell me the technical name for them.

it was so foggy we had to drive along with the sidelights on - headlights just bounced back - and the windows open so that we could see where we were going! there was a queue of traffic following us, we could have all ended up on somebodies drive. all the way back to great yarmouth.

and as far being posh, we have got inside toilets now, the maid does appreciate it so much!

wen

aliisa

Banned
. . . and as far being posh, I was slightly shocked you had electricity up there to begin with! My how technology advances. Even to Stourbridge. What next? Men on the moon? Nah!

Like the avatar, by the way, very seasonal! Can't wait to get my 100 postings and join the "I have my own avatar club".

aliisa

Banned
Hah! I don't think we'd agree on the decor!

Still, can I borrow your lamp sometime to shed light on this Word programme? Course, I'd need to have the right plug. Damn, here we go again! Anyone got a US to Euro plug adaptor?

Seriously, thanks for the link, Dreamboat. I learned something there for the next problem time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online