1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word97 on WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fiatspider79, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiatspider79

fiatspider79 Thread Starter

I have had no compelling reason to upgrade Word from 97 to 2462 or whatever the number is today. It does everything I want it to do and many things I still don't understand and it never crashes or gives my other programs the flu or any other problem.

So why am I here?

Every time I open a file I am told that "[The File] is being used by Glenn B. Knight [that's me]. Do you want to make a copy." I always just hit cancel and everything is fine. I've looked everywhere for some kind of "switch" but have had no success.

What am I missing?

Glenn
    :confused:

2. Miz

Miz

Are you opening the files by clicking on a shortcut to the file or by clicking on the file itself or are you opening Word first, then opening the file?

If it's either of the first two, try the third method. If the files then open without the error message, try turning off XP's indexing service: Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, find and double click on Indexing. Set it to Disabled and click on the Stop button to stop the service without having to reboot.

3. fiatspider79

fiatspider79 Thread Starter

It was the first two and not the third that caused the problem so I went in to Services as you suggested and set the Indexing to Disabled.

The problem persists. Unless there is some kind of cache that needs to be cleared, it did not immediately solve the problem. Like I said, it's no big problem just a pain in the fingers and an insult to my theory that computers should work for people and not the other way around.

Thanks,
    Glenn

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There are a couple of reasons I can think of for this behaviour.

If the files have been restored to the PC using a CD backup copy, they get set to read only in the process.

There is a known bug in Word that can also cause this, to do with the way it saves. It is fixed by applying SR 2 (Service Release 2, an update for Word 97)
    You would need to apply SR-1 first of course.

Word 97 is fine, I run both 97 and XP (2002) versions and while XP is better, Word 97 still does everything I need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice