1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WordPad can't save in WordPad format

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I am having to use other word processors to save files in WordPad format. WordPad can't do it.

Is there an elegant solution for this?

2. moper

moper

The Wordpad that comes with XP, can save files in RTF or TXT. Previous versions could save in DOC, but in XP, they eliminated that format. I don't know why, maybe conflict with WORD.

moper

3. Alex Ethridge

Yeah. It's not like they were made by the same developer or anything like that.

Is there a version of WordPad that saves by default in WordPad format?

4. moper

moper

As far as I know, all the previous versions did. 98, ME, 2000. I think the format was Word 6, or something like that. If they would work in XP, I really don't know. XP can read previous versions, but not save.

moper

5. Alex Ethridge

I pulled a copy from my Windows 98 Program Files folder yesterday and it didn't offer a WordPad format either.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

RTF is a "common" format for exchanging docs between WPs.

Is this not a viable option?

7. Alex Ethridge

I used to keep service call notes in Lotus WordPro format until a few months ago when I converted them to WordPad so I could open them from a thumb drive on any machine. I also sync them with my Palm.

I want to avoid converting 300 or so documents to another format one by one again. I have a batch converter; but, I learned the hard way there is a small percentage that don't convert properly and I don't find out until I attempt to open them on my Palm.

So, the ideal solution is to have a copy of WordPad that would save in WordPad format, by default. But, it looks like I'm in for another one-by-one conversion as WordPad format isn't available in any version of WordPad. That's ironic as it is available in WordPerfect and Lotus WordPro.

It looks like I am going to have to accept a solution I didn't want.

I want to thank everyone for their interest.

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Ok.

So, it's really being able to read the existing ones, as opposed to creating new ones.

The attached TXT file is a copy of Win98SE Wordpad. It "seems" to be creating DOC files as "Word for Windows 6".

Rename the file from TXT to EXE and see if that is what you want.

Also, if you haven't seen it, TreePad is a neat, small, standalone database-like app that allows you to easily create a "structured" repository. The freeware one is text only.

Attached Files:

9. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for going to all that trouble; but, just an hour ago, I tried WordPad from Windows 98 and then '95 and neither offer WordPad format. If I save in Word 6, I get an error in Documents to Go on the Palm.

Looks like I may go to RTF if I don't find a better solution. I have nothing against RTF; it's just the arduous task of one-by-one conversion I dread.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/501789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice