WordPad document messed up after power outage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jason Lick

I was typing in a WordPad document that I've had for a while when suddenly the power (for the whole house) went out. No big deal, I thought. I had saved the document only a few minutes before. But when I turned the PC back on and went into the document, I saw that the entire thing is now just a bunch of squares (http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1138/messedupdoc6sx.jpg). Every word, gone.

Is there any way at all to restore the original data? I tried opening the doc in other word processors, but no success. :(

If anyone knows a way, I'd really appreciate it if you can tell me.

Saving the document only saves to a temporary file in many applications, that file is "written" back to the main file at document close.

Your document did not close.

Look on the hard drive for all .tmp files around the date and time of the last save, look at the file size as well. If its a few kBs then try renaming the file as .doc or .txt (whatever your original one was) and opening it in Wordpad. The file name will be a random string of letters and numbers. no relationship to the original file.

The .tmp files are normally erased at file save, so one might well still exist at the time of the crash. In fact it should, and hopefully will be readable. Remember to have your settings to display all hidden and system files as well.

If no success, you will need to rely on your backup system that you use to save copies of all important documents. You do have one...?

Jason Lick

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the .tmp file. I really appreciate the help, though. I didn't know it worked like that; very informative, and I'll definitely remember.

If no success, you will need to rely on your backup system that you use to save copies of all important documents. You do have one...?
Uh..... no. :eek:

Oh well. Again, thanks for the help. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online