Wordpad - failed to create empty doc. msg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buckleysearch

Hello,
in trying to open Wordpad I get a message saying "faild to create empty Wordpad". This happens either with new doc. or already saved doc. What do I need to do to fix the problem? Appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks, Kevin.

Just want to confirm that is the exact text of the error and not "failed to create empty document"

Either way, try extracting RICHED32.DLL from your OS cd using SFC.

buckleysearch

Hi Angel,
Sorry, the exact text of error msg is above. You'll need to walk me through the process. I'm not an expert. I've also been receiving the following:" MNsVC caused an invalid page fault in Module Kernel32.DLL at 0177: bff7a128". Is this related to the Wordpad problem?
Thanks again for your help, Kevin.

buckleysearch

Angel,
Me again. I am now getting the following random error message:
MNSVC caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a128.
Registers:
EAX=00747068 CS=0177 EIP=bff7a128 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=004140e4 SS=017f ESP=0063fc5c EBP=0063fc90
ECX=0d3e2d2d DS=017f ESI=004140c0 FS=2217
EDX=63733c0a ES=017f EDI=0074708c GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
89 51 08 8b 53 08 8b 43 04 8d 8b 0b 10 00 00 c1
Stack dump:
0063fc90 004140c0 00410000 0001dc30 bff7b30e 00410000 004140c0 00000024 00000200 00413f40 bff76e41 0001dc30 004140c0 0063fcd8 bff7b953 00410000
Is this related to earlier problem with opening Wordpad?
Thanks for your time and attention.
Kevin

What OS are you using?

At this point, I'm going to assume 98. Have your OS cd in and go to Start>Run, type in 'sfc' (without the quotes and it stand for System File Checker, btw). Choose to Extract one file - type riched32.dll and then follow the prompts.
If that doesn't help, please post back - that's just one solution I found. Another was that a shortcut is incorrect. Do you get the same error if you go to Start>Run and type 'wordpad'?
You can also go to Start>Run>Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs, click the Windows Setup tab, double-click Accessories and remove the check for Wordpad. OK your way out to uninstall Wordpad. Now repeat steps to reinstall.

As far as the other error you are receiving, I couldn't find anything on MNSVC except that it's the symbol for MSC.Software Corporation.
So...
When are you receiving this error exactly?
What do you have running at startup? Go to Start>Run>type 'msinfo32' and [Enter], expand Software Environment and choose startup programs. Now choose Edit>Select All, Edit>Copy. Paste it into a post here.

buckleysearch

This is the Start-Up Programs:naviscope Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Naviscope\naviscope.exe"
ReadMe Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\ReadMe.hta
ATnotes Startup Group "C:\Program Files\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe"
Quick To-Do Light Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\QUICK TO-DO LIGHT\QTODOLIGHT.EXE
MailCleaner Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\MAILCLEANER.COM\MAILCLEANER\MAILCLEANER.EXE
Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
Auto Updater Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\mnsvc.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
webHancer Agent Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whAgent.exe"
TexNotes Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\TEXNOTES\TEXNOTES.EXE
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

Note: When I uninstalled and re-installed Wordpad from the 98 start-up cd I was able to open and save a new Wordpad - but only for a few minutes, then it returned the same "Failed to create empty doc." message.
When I ran the SFC it advised me that a file "user.exe" may be corrupted. When I ran Scandisk it kept re-starting and advising that something was interfering with its operating. I closed all systems-tray programs that were open.
Kevin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online