Wordpad not in list

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ACD

When I try to use the open with window to read a txt file, the Wordpad program is not in the list, I use the browse button, find the program and ok it but it still is not in the list. Wordpad does work though if I open it manually, but since it is not in the list I cannot make it my default program for .txt files. Any Ideas on what is causing this?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Click the box first, then browse for WordPad.

You can change file associations as well within Windows Explorer

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
supan0v4 said:
Go Folder Options >> File Types >> Select .txt and click advanced >> doulbe click open >> 'In application used to preform action' place - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1 in 'Application' place - NOTEPAD and in 'Topic' place System

Hope that works
he wants to use wordpad.

ACD

OK, I found out the reason it would not list it even after locating the file and adding it. When I built my machine I changed my default for installing programs to a different drive :d:/program files" instead of C. I searched the registry and located the Root entry for Wordpad and saw that it as pointing to the "default" setting, which is now D: instead of C: where it was installed during the setup. I moved the file to the D: location and NOW it is working. Thanks anyways! What puzzled me the most on this is that Wordpad is not listed in the componenets list for add/remove programs. I couldnt uninstall/install it if I wanted to! :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online