1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wordpad vs. Notepad issue.....

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

So....I need to send out "query letters" to literary agents; it's involved and finicky. Basically I need to paste a bunch of text into the email and send it to them (they don't accept attachments.) I have at least a dozen of these to send. The procedure as I've been told is to copy-paste from the original MS Word 2016 doc into Notepad, which strips out the formatting, then copy-paste from Notepad into the email body, then put spaces back between paragraphs, etc. This is all fine, but with Notepad I can't italicize text, and that's sort of critical to my novel chapters they'll be reading.

Can I just use Wordpad instead, which will allow formatting text? (italicize, bold, etc.) Will Wordpad serve the same purpose as Notepad; i.e. remove all formatting in order to avoid weirdness on the other end (the agent's inbox)?

thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The thing is you have to test and see is if the text pasted from Wordpad into your email will show your italics. Try sending the email to yourself. If the editors won't accept attachments, and if the italics Do work when pasted from Wordpad, then all is good.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You need to tell us what "Formatting" is allowed, so that we can give you a better answer?

Edit:
    (italicize, bold, etc.) are formatting, so what do they (the agents) accept?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

It's sort of unclear......the articles I've seen basically say to leave all formatting out. No bold, no italics, no underlining.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Then all you need to do, set up the new mail to be "Plain Text" and copy and paste from the Word document.
    All of the formatting including font changes will be remove to just PLAIN text.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hey Everybody, thanks for the feedback. Now I know what I need to.....thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice