1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WordPerfect 5.1 DOS TO MS WORD2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Patije, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Patije

Patije Thread Starter

I have lots of WordPerfect 5.1 dos documents remaining to be converted. In February I had a HardDrive failure and GATEWAY replaced HD and reinstalled Windows 98 and Word AS THEY WERE when I bought computer in 2000. (up to me to install all other hardware, software and download and install all patches, updates, etc. to Windows 98 and Word) Except they did not reinstall the converter that comes on Word installation disk.

My problem: My LICENSED copy of MS WORD2000 is missing. (perhaps not returned to me after reinstallation) I've been to MS web site and am told "this is no longer available" or if I try to use Office 2003, I'm told "page" is not available at this time.

WHERE can I get the converter software which I should have on my licensed WORD installation disk which is missing? Or is there a workaround for this?

Does Word Perfect have a conversion software to convert to Windows from dos? I used WP from 1984-5 until I got new computer in 2000. MSWord was installed and the people I exchanged docs with were using MS Word...so I learned how to use it. Only problem...all my years of previous work is done in WP 5.1!

Your help will be very welcome! I don't want to do this all over again--even if I could.

Patije

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Even if you can get the add-in, its highly likely that you will not be able to install it without the original CD.
    During most updates, Office 2000 will require the CD to be in the drive.
    I think some of the installer routines are never loaded to the Hard Disk, probably as an anti-piracy measure.

3. Patije

Patije Thread Starter

Does this mean I'm dead in the water, so to speak? Nothing I can do except buy a new WORD program?

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If it were me, I'd send the PC back to Gateway and tell them to do a COMPLETE install of MS Word. I don't think the default install includes all the converters, etc.

If you end up needing to buy Word, try eBay.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Oh...and how many files are we talking about anyway?

6. Patije

Patije Thread Starter

hundreds. I have teaching disks, book in process, genealogy, family history, you name it! WP 5.1 was the BEST and easiest word processor I ever used...windows word processers are a pain in the you-know- what because I have to take my hands off keys to work the mouse and have usually typed a page or at least 3 or 4 paragraphs or so before I look up to see that I have my fingers on the wrong keys<G>

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL!!

You don't have to do that!!
    Have you ever gone to Tools-Options, General tab and chosen those couple of WP options??

Listen...if I can get my coder to open your docs and save to Word 2000, would you be interested?

He'd write some VBA code to do it.

Hopefully, I'd put the files in a folder called something like C:\convert and it'd open each of those files and save as DOC files. Knowing him, he could probably do it without even open each doc...

Are you here in the U.S.?

8. Patije

Patije Thread Starter

Yes, I'm in Florida. Yes, I'm interested. I could send one sample to see if it could be done, I guess. Some of it is confidential stuff so hate to have it out of my possession... used to live not far from Quakertown, PA...<G>

Is "tools-options, general tab" supposed to be in Word Perfect? It is no longer on my computer either since the new HD.

I own a software called "ClickBook" but have never installed or used it. Would it possibly be able to read my WP5.1 files?

Patije

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No. Tools-Options-General is in Word.

I have no idea what ClickBook is, so I doubt it.

Sent you an email with my address in it. :)

10. sliderule

sliderule

Dreamboat, I have the identical problem Patije does. Thousands of WP 5.1 files and a factory reinstalled version of Word 2000 that will not now convert. And Microsoft, of course, left us hanging.

If you come up with the converter code you mentioned, might I have a copy too?

Thanks,

Sliderule

11. sliderule

sliderule

Dreamboat apparently lost interest. C'est la vie.

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I was sure that I told you both in private message/email that I cannot write this code myself and would have to pay to have it written. No one replied whether they were interested. I can't help any more than that. Perhaps someone else can.

13. OfficeTrainr

OfficeTrainr

14. Patije

Patije Thread Starter

thanks, I'll check it out!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice