1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WordPerfect and OpenOffice

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Couriant, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    Can OpenOffice handle WordPerfect 8.0 files? I have a client that can't seem to print their document in WordPerfect and they are unable/unwilling to buy new software.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just had a quick look at my OpenOffice (on my EeePC) and there is no "save as" option for WP, so I would assume it will not open the files either?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Both OpenOffice v2.3 and v2.4 (the latest, at this time) have the Open, Type: WordPerfect Document (*.wpd). There is no specificity of versions of WordPerfect (such as v8.0). There are over three dozen types of documents listed as being able to open.

With the Save As function, there are about 20 file types to save, none are *.wpd, though. But then, all the really major types are there, especially the MS Word (various versions) and the EU desired ODF (Open Document Format), and XML.

I don't think there is much demand for saving to the WordPerfect format, sorry.

5. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    I know, like I said the client is not one for upgradiing to latest/greatest so I'm trying to keep costs down :)

I will send the link to the client and we will go from there. Thanks all! :)

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

:confused::confused::confused: OpenOffice is FREE.

7. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    exactly what i meant ;)

Apparently he obtained a 2003 version of Word (office i think) and it's working thus far so we are good to go.

Thanks for the replies guys.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!