1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wordpress pages, posts, dropdown issues

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by kman1000, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

How can I set up my Wordpress site like this:

a. I want the front page to be static and to able to be changed when I want it to be changed. I would like the changes to be listed chronologically or in a way that only the changes that I select will be showed.

b. I have already made four different separate pages. I do not think it is set up like this but I would like those different pages to be their own areas and I would like to add individual posts to those pages that are relevant to that subject area. Right now, every post I make appears on the main page and not only in the area I want it in. I also can’t figure out how to get the posts to be listed under the specific page I want them to be listed under.

For example - Let’s say I made a page about a1. bears and another page about a2. skunks.

I make three posts this week about bears. So, I want all those posts about bears to only show up under the page about bears. Nowhere else. And the same thing with skunks. Does that make sense?

c. I plan on posting content and commentary about the different places in the world I have traveled to. I would like to have something like “country” in a tab or something at the top of the page and then when the mouse hovers over it, it will drop down the seven continents and then countries and so on and so forth. I want to define what drops down and I only want it to list what areas I have visited.

Thank you!

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    I am not familiar with WordPress, however you could easily achieve what you are looking for by using a MySQL database and some php.
    If you are prepared to go this route, let us know and we'll help as much as possible:)

3. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

Hmm, well perhaps I can do what you are recommending and make it work with WordPress. How would I do what you have in mind? I have absolutely no experience in MySQL or PHP... But I do have WordPress installed on my computer locally in the way that is described here:
    http://wpmu.org/install-wordpress-locally-on-windows-with-xampp/

It mentions MySQL and PHP a bit in that article...

4. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

@Martin - I have no experience in web development. Although I have reading a book about HTML/CSS. (HTML dog)

5. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

Martin, please post here what you have to explain. Support has to remain in the forums. (per site rules)

@JiminSA - I am interested to try out your method.

6. moonlight7

moonlight7

Hi guys, these problems not about php & mysql. It's about wordpress.

The first problem: follow technomixx 's guide, but you should make a static page or post first.

The second problem: you can do this by using category, make a category about 'bears' :
    Admin panel > Posts > Categories > Add New Category, select the categroy you created when you create new post about 'bears', then all you 'bears' posts are listed under the category page. like this: http://www.humicacidcorp.com/products the product webpage is a category infact.

The third problem: if your theme support menus, create a category named "countries i visit", Admin panel > Appearance > Menus > Add New Menu any name would be ok, then check the category "country" and the posts about "country" then click "Add to Menu", then they will show at right under the Menu you add, draft the posts under the categroy "country". don't forget to add the buttons "Save Menu" & "Save". the effect like this: http://www.appleiphone5base.com/ , move you mouse over the Menu "news".
    [​IMG]

my english isn't good, hope this can help you

Attached Files:

7. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

Great teachings, moonlight! That worked just fine! Thank you! :)

I have more questions about Wordpress which I will post a bit later, so I will leave this open for now though.

8. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm glad that you stepped in moonlight7 - It appears to me that Wordpress is a commonly used and powerful tool, which has it's own solutions available through experienced people such as yourself. Have you any experience with Buddypress as a plugin to Wordpress? BlackFrancis has a problem

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice