1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WORDPRESS WPML PLUG IN AND JOB MANAGER PLUG

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by christinewulfit, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christinewulfit

christinewulfit Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having trouble getting WP to translate from English to French so have to have both language pages.
    Namely, I cannot figure out how to generate an French employment submission form.

http://www.cl-innovations.com/index.php/jobs/apply/?lang=en/1091/

The default language of the site is French, but the Job Manager plug in is in English,
    I have no choice but to base page in English

http://www.cl-innovations.com/index.php/jobs/?lang=en

but strangely the Apply Now/Submit CV from this page goes to French version of site

http://www.cl-innovations.com/index.php/jobs/apply/?lang=en/1109/

2. Sponsor

3. JiminSA

JiminSA

If you append - /1109/ - to your second url, the resulting page is almost totally in french:whistle: Perhaps you could change the Apply Now/Submit CV link text to french, then it's all tickety-boo, no?
    I have never used WP, so perhaps I am missing something which inhibits your appending /1109/ :oops:

4. christinewulfit

Hi Jim, this wordpress is bad news if you ask me. The thing is I need a bilingual website. I think the problem is the compatability between the 2 plug ins - WPML and Job Manager. I have now disactived Job Manager. The first problem I want to address is the fact that in WP settings when I choose French as my default language, it seems to accept, but when I recheck the settings it has switched to English as default. I think that first step in resolving this.

5. colinsp

colinsp Colin

@Christine I use Wordpress for 90% of the sites that I build. I do not use the WPML plugin because of some of the issues you are experiencing. I tend to create the site in the primary language required and then make use of one of the auto translation plugins to handle one or more secondary languages. Another approach I have used is to have a common landing page in both languages and then the visitor selects the language and they are then directed to the rest of the site in that language. It does mean creating duplicate pages one in each language but it does give you what you want.

If you want to pursue the use of the plugin then you may be better off raising the issues one the plugin support forum or on one of the other dedicated Wordpress forums.

If you just want dual language forms this can be accomplished with one of the form plugins such as Gravity Forms and a custom post type. This is something that I do frequently.

6. christinewulfit

Okay thanks Colin, I will look into gravity form. But can you tell me if I disactivate WPML temporarily, will I lose the translations I have made if I were to reactivate.I read in a WPML forum that I need to do this in order to have WP accept the french language setting as default for the site, which it seems as though its been accepted, but when I check it has reverted back to English. Thanks for your help. christine

7. colinsp

colinsp Colin

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question I only used WPML on one site and it caused so many problems trying to get it to work how the client wanted I didn't pursue its use.

It should not affect the Wordpress backend language but clearly it does.

I always have a local development site that I try these sorts of things on for the site before I put anything live, I also have a non site specific development site that I try various plugins on before letting them anywhere near a site development instance. You may be better off cloning a separate development environment to try different settings before you make any lasting changes to the live site.

An alternative to Gravity Forms that I have been experimenting with recently is WP User Frontend and for your use on this site it may be a better alternative to Gravity Forms.

8. christinewulfit

Thanks for you input Colin, much appreciated. I will look into this.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186794