1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

words

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pete_unaware, Jan 22, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. pete_unaware

pete_unaware Thread Starter

Does anyone know the word the means to have a major event mark your memory. Like when poeple remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when JFK was shot; or when elvis died; the challenger disaster; John Lennon was shot; etc..

2. cybergum

cybergum

Hm....
    The best I can think of is flashback, maybe memory?
    The worst part is I KNOW I've heard it before too :)

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

I believe the word you are looking for is encoding

The Encoding Process - Laying Down Memories

You can think of the process of storing memories in your mind to be similar to that of a computer that utilizes RAM (Random Access Memory) for the temporary storage of information before being placed in long-term storage on the hard drive. This temporary storage, or working memory, depends on a different network of brain structures than long term memories do.

Psychologists refer to storing memories as an encoding process--a procedure for transforming something a person sees hears, thinks, or feels into a memory. Scientists have determined there are different methods in how we lay down our memories.

Shallow Encoding

Repeating information to yourself , such as a phone number, is a process of encoding that is part of our working, short-term memory most of us use when we need to hold a small amount of linguistic information in mind for several seconds. Repeating a phone number to yourself only temporarily stores the information. Many people do not understand why this type of encoding doesn't work for long-term memory -- it is due to our utilizing our brain's phonological loop, that relies on a part of the brain designed only for short-term memory purposes.

Elaborative Encoding

If you've ever had trouble remembering something you truly wanted to remember, as most of us, you probably just view yourself as possessing less intelligence than others. These continued experiences of not being able to remember something promotes low self-esteem, not to mention embarrassment. What you are really missing in the memory encoding process, isn't intelligence, but a type of mental glue, scientists call elaborative encoding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DS

4. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

1. Walking home from school. A girl from another school told me.
    2. At work. A coworker heard it on the radio.
    3. At work. The boss heard it on the radio. We all went to the break room to turn on the TV.
    4. Watching Monday Night Football. Howard Cosell told me.

Whatever it's called, it's part of human nature.

5. littlemar

littlemar

Wow DS, I'll encode this using the shallow thingy. :D I'm impressed. ;)

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

littlemar,

You have already made that connection today by using the "Shallow thingy".......lol

..........However this may be of greater interest to you as well as some of the others:

http://enchantedmind.com/html/trigger.htm

and all of this comes down to the fact that we have capabilities beyond what we know, until such time we choose to be enlightened..................
    IOW the tools are in place, we need only know how to access the information encoded.

I was fortunate in having learned all about this because my employer enrolled me in here:

http://www.jimzinger.com/company.htm

..........and for that I am very thankful. :D

DS

7. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks

Howard Cosel told me too about Lennon. I believe the Patriots were making a rare Monday night appearance.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice