1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WordUndoing changed normal.dot template

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hillclimber, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hillclimber

hillclimber Thread Starter

I have somehow saved a block of text to my normal.dot template in Word, and now, every time I start up, there it is. Whenever I try to delete the text so that I can start with a blank document, I get the message that normal.dot is in use, and therefore cannot be changed. Is there any way I can fix this without removing Word completely and reinstalling? (I don't even know if that will do the job!) Thanks for any help.

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Do a search on your hard drive for normal.dot (you may have to go to advanced search and make sure it checks hidden and system files, etc).

When you find it, delete it. Word will automatically create a new, clean one for you.

MBN

3. ciobair

ciobair

If you start Word and then open your Normal template as a template, not a document, you could remove the unwanted text and save the blank as something other than normal. Then when you choose File, New the new blank template will be available.
    This doesn't sort the normal template, but gives you something you can use.
    Removing and re-installing Word would put it right - this won't affect any documents stored in My documents.

4. Miz

Miz

The normal.dot file isn't installed when Word (or Office) is installed; but, rather, is created the first time Word is opened. That's why uninstalling/reinstalling Word (or Office) doesn't affect normal.dot. MustBeNuts (who obviously isn't ;) ) is right...find and delete normal.dot (with Word closed) and an new, blank one will be created the next time you open Word.

5. ciobair

ciobair

The subsequent replies were much more appropriate. After thinking about it, I was going to suggest just deleting normal.dot (you will need to look for all files or it will be hidden), and am glad that quicker thinkers replied before you wasted time on my original suggestion.
    Ciobair

6. hillclimber

hillclimber Thread Starter

Thanks to you guys, my computer, and my life, are back to normal. If you ever need a liver or kidney or (gulp) heart transplant, call on me.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!