1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Work Computers Cannot Access Home Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Xtoli, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xtoli

Xtoli Thread Starter

I have 3 computers at work set up on a local network and connected to a router. My internet connection is DSL. I have no problems accessing websites, ftp servers, and other types of servers. I can ping other IP addresses as well. At home, I have one computer with DSL also. I can access everything from this computer as well.

Here is my problem: I have an ftp server and a hotline set up at work. Other people can access both servers with no problems. I cannot access it from my home computer (nor can I ping my router). I then set up an ftp server and a hotline server at. Again, other people can access them, but I cannot from work. Also, I cannot ping my home IP from work (I can ping others just fine).

Could somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I really would like to get this problem resolved.

THANKS!!!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are the home and work PC's set up on a WAN through your ISP or are they just on the Internet? Are you trying to connect from the PC's behind the router? Sounds like it is using some kind of network address translation that the other ends FTP doesn't accept. Look at the log on your FTP client for a clue as to why it's not connecting. Don't use IE for an FTP client because it has no log you can read. Use something like WS_FTP

3. Xtoli

Xtoli Thread Starter

My PC's are set up on a WAN through my ISP. It appears there is a problem at the ISP level. I can ping most IP addresses on my network but not others. The ones I can't ping are on the same bridge group as my computer at home. At first, they thought there was a problem with the set up of that bridge group, but I can ping some IP address on that same bridge group but not others. The ones I can't ping are even on the same interface card as the ones I can ping.

Nam Et Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
    (Knowledge is Power)

...and I need more of it.

Xtoli

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice