1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Work laptop interfacing with home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jparry, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jparry

jparry Thread Starter

My work laptop is loaded with xpPro. When I boot up at home I have three issues.

First, since the domain is set for the office it takes forever (3-5 minutes) before the actual desktop appears. Is there a way to shorten the boot process?

Second, I am able to successfully VPN (Cisco client) into work (wireless Netgear router at home and DSL connection) and access everything I need (different boxes, email etc). Some of the general work I do requires me to do remote desktop to a box at the office and/or mapping to the drives on that box. There is usually a large amount of data that gets passed back and forth while I am connected. A lot of the time during the large data transfer I will lose the VPN connection. Could this be a wireless issue or related to VPN and DSL (SBCYahoo)?

Third, my printer at home is shared on the network and I can print from all of my PCs at home. What do I need to do to get my work PC to use this printer? It does not find it while I am connected to the network at home.

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

My office had similar issues with laptops used in the office and at home. We tried software solutions that changed NIC settings depending on how the employee logged in (home logon or office logon), but these proved to be confusing and unpredictable.

The computers had both a built in NIC and pcmcia slot, what we ended up doing was purchasing a pcmcia card for each and hard-coding the IP/network info for the built in NIC, and leaving the pcmcia on dynamic.

At home they used their pcmcia card and could configure it as they needed and their home setup required.

I'm sure there may be other/better ways to do this, but with the pcmcia card prices so low, this was fast and simple and we never had conflicts after that.

MBN

PS: Can't answer the disconnection issue.

3. jparry

jparry Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I will look into a pcmcia card to use at home.

btw..I got my home printer added this morning. I just had not tried hard enough before.

4. piowaty

piowaty

Do you have local administrator rights on that machine? If so, you can create another account on that machine locally that you can log in to that doesn't check for network connections on the domain. This would work if you don't use network printers at work. When you log in to your computer, it is looking for all of the network connections that it has set to reconnect at login. I.e.-mapped drives, printers etc. My guess is that when you're connected to your laptop at home not on VPN but by itself, that when you go to print sometimes it takes an abnormal amount of time to get the properties windows up. If you print at work from home, then you don't want to delete those printers, but you should get rid on ones that you don't use regularly. If your printers at work aren't going through a print server first and are instead connected via direct ports forwarded through tcp-ip (appear as local printers), then creating a local profile to log on to probably won't resolve your issues as they will still reconnect on all profiles. If you have mapped drives that are always connected, (i.e-not coming down on a login script or winbatch), then you should disconnect those. You can make a simple .bat file script to remap those drives at the click of a button to use them when you need them. Set them to not reconnect at login. They will then be mapped until you log off that profile.

A simple command line for your script would be:
    net use x{drive letter you want mapped}: \\{servername}\{sharename} /USER:{domainname}\{username} /PERSISTENT:NO

Do this for all of your shares save it as a .bat file. This will make it launchable by double clicking.

Hope this helps.
    -Tim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice