Work Offline OR Retry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buf

I have DSL supplied by my ISP--BellSouth. From time to time I have been getting a dialog box telling me that I am not connected (in so many words) and do I want to work offline or retry to connect to DSL. I click on Retry and I am immediately connected again. This has been happening for about a month now and it has begun to get annoying. As you know, DSL is supposedly always connected.
A friend has been seeing the same message and he is on cable. Anyone know what is going on with ISP's? Are they trying to cut down on idle computers to save bandwidth or what? If so, how can I, we, prevent it's happening? Thinking I may get some feedback from this board, it will help in confronting my ISP with the proper questions. As always, TIA.

It does suggest that you may have some micro-outages on the DSL service.

It happens here about once every couple of months as well, probably due to service issues at the DSLAM equipment level.

DSL can only travel a finite distance from the exchange before the level gets unreliable, so its also possible that you are in a fringe area.

Also you may have some connected equipment that is interfering from time to time with the phone line depending on how the DSL installation was performed.

buf

Thanks kiwiguy, and you may be right but I wouldn't know. I have not experienced this happening at any time during the 4 years I have had BellSouth and DSL.
I recall back in the days when I had dialup that we had some small software that we installed to help keep that from occurring.

BTW, I seem to recall having the Kiwi bird as one of my wallpaper pics. Your national bird, I think. Pretty bird!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online