1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Work Offline or Try Again

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Robert1, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

When I try to log on to the internet (I am using Internet Explorer 5.0) a pop-up screen comes up requiring me to click one of two buttons: "Work Offline" and "Try Again". When I click the "Try Again" button the browser then goes online and brings up the designated web page per the browser setting.

I started getting this pop-up screen after I deleted the cookies from my cookie file, I believe.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this annoying pop-up so that my browser brings up the usual web site without this intermediary step?

Thank you,
    Robert

2. RandyG

RandyG

I don't remember if IE 5 is the same names but in IE6 go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, and make sure you put the check mark in "Always dial my defaul connection"

see if that works for you.

3. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Well, a good thought but doesn't help me because I have a hi-speed connection: I don't want my computer to use dial-up. And I'm sure that this has nothing to do with the problem because it logged onto the hi-speed network for several years without a hitch: it's only the last few weeks that this problem developed: as I say, it may have been connected with a clean-up of my system when I deleted my cookies and temporary internet files. Rather than a changed setting: I think something that the program is looking for has been deleted. I recall I was forever getting a message from the Microsoft site asking me if I wanted to update my browser. Since this problem has come up I no longer get those reminder messages. I wonder if that's a clue as to what happened to my system to make it behave this way?

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Try this. While offline
    Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>
    Click on the settings tab for your connection. That will bring up another page. Place a check in the box labeled:
    Automatically Detect Settings. Click OK

Start IE. Let it detect. Go back in and uncheck the box. Click OK

See if that helps.

5. HomeChicken1

HomeChicken1

Ahh the dreaded "Work off line, try again" pop-up! This will happen in IE 5-6 with "some always on connections" after you load or delete something like MSN messenger.
    After every reformat of my system and it doesn't take long before that buggar pops up since i also have a high speed connection (ADSL/PPPoE). I found the answer (posted byBarbaraAnn)but it takes some DOS editing to get rid of it. What were going to do is rename the three files associated with the System Notification Service. These files are named Sens.dll,Sensapi.dll, Senscfg.dll and must all be renamed in MS-DOS

With windows 98
    select Start>shut down>restart in ms-dos mode
    @ the C:\windows promt
    type:
    cd c:\windows\system
    hit enter

prompt will be c:\windows\system>

type:
    rename sens.dll sensdll.old
    hit enter

type:
    rename sensapi.dll sensapidll.old
    hit enter

type:
    rename senscfg.dll senscfgdll.old
    hit enter

Now all three are renamed and let's exit by typing exit
    type:
    exit
    hit enter

Windows will now restart and your annoying "Work off Line Try Again" will be just a memory.
    And there are no side effects to this fix!!!
    And after you do this fix please report back that it did indeed work.

6. Del

Del

I've seen running the internet connection wizard fix it before and one time under Internet Options, Programs, Reset Web Settings.
    Another one is upgrading from IE 5 to IE 5.5SP2.
    The registry fix is normally the fix if non of the others work.

I heard MSN messenger upgrade would cause this to happen..

Not sure, but good luck

Del

7. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

HomeChicken1: your procedure worked - with just a minor variation: instead of a space, I put a "\" between "windows" and "system" in the first command of your suggested procedure.

Having worked with DOS many years ago, 'way back when, I knew that the cd ("Change Directory) command needed a slash at that point rather than a space.

The rest of your procedure I followed exactly: and it worked beautifully.

Thank you very much for your help.

All best,
    Robert

8. HomeChicken1

HomeChicken1

Thanks robert for heads up on the type"o"
    glad you did the fix with your knowledge.
    a small type "o" on something like that could cause disaster.
    I'll go up and edit my post to include the "\" inbetween windows and system

9. RandyG

RandyG

Learn something new all the time. That's one of the reasons this site is so brilliant!!

Thanx for jumping in and solving this HomeChicken1!:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/91869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice