Workgroup doesn't.. well.. work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

graylarram

Background:

Windows 2000 box running as nothing more than a file server (I'm told). Four WinXP computers, one of which is a laptop(wireless), connecting to said Win2k box to share files. One Win98 box using the shares on the Win2k box. All part of same workgroup.

Problem:

Removed Win2k box, installed WinSBS2003 box. Changed domain on all computers to match the SBS box. Turnes on shares on the SBS box. Turned the Win2k box OFF. All computers EXCEPT for the wireless laptop lose the workgroup. They no longer see it, and can't access it. If Win2k is turned back on, with different name (used to be called server, renamed as the SBS box is named server), workgroup comes back on the XP boxes (and 98) but they cannot log into the SBS box (duplicate name on network). There is no other computer named Server, all my IP's are different, all my client boxes have different names. Why can ONE computer see the server and workgroup fine, while the others cannot?

Is the SBS a domain controller? if so just write a logon script to map all the drives.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online