1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Workgroup name resolution not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrbrdo, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

I have a LAN at home with 4 computers on it. They are all in the same workgroup, and all except 1 work fine, but on 1 computer i have the following problems:
    If i click view workgroup computers, it says i do not have permission to acces it, even though i have my workgroup set the same as on the other 3 computers. If i type the name of another computer into explorer like this: \\workPC it says it cannot find it, while on other 2 computers it works (and on the 3rd too of course, since that one is called workPC). Also remote desktop connection doesn't work if i type in workPC, but it works on the other 3 computers.
    But the other 3 computers cannot see this 4th computer either, it doesn't show up when i click view workgroup computers. It's as if it wasn't in the workgroup, even though i've triple checked it and it's the same as on all other computers.
    I can, however, access all other 3 computers via IP, like \\192.168.0.5 and such, and that works, it also works via IP for remote desktop connection.
    The problem that bothers me most, though, is that i cannot remote desktop into this 4th computer, even though remote desktop is enabled and it should work... I can remote desktop to other 3 computers from this computer, but not the other way around. When i try to connect to it (via IP since it doesn't work via it's name), it asks me for the username and password. I enter those correctly, then i get a warning i always get (something about "Remote Desktop cannot verify the identitfy of the computer you want to connect to." (and so on)). After i click yes (*i want to connect anyway*), it just returns me to the window that asks you for the name of the computer to connect to, and that's it.. Nothing happens.

Thank you in advance for helping,
    MrBrdo

2. jmwills

jmwills

No mention of any operating systems??????

3. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Windows XP Professional.

4. jmwills

jmwills

Two things to try, one would be to give that one machine a static IP address and/or run a program called NewSid on that machine to give it a new SID.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe a 3rd party firewall (internet security) blocking.

Make sure the following services are running (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services). The Startup Type that is on my machine is also indicated below.

Computer Browser Automatic
    DHCP Client Automatic
    DNS Client Automatic
    Network Location Awareness Manual
    Server Automatic
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Automatic
    Workstation Automatic

6. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

whoa, setting a static IP made it so i can now see network computers (view workgroup computers), but i can't connect to any of them. I'm running NewSID now and i'll check the services after that too, i'll keep you posted. Some progress at least has already happened :)
    Can you explain why a static IP changed this anyway? And is this a temp fix or i can't use DHCP at all (because it works on other computers) - like is there something i need to change so it'll work with DHCP too?

7. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Ok, now i have a static IP still set and NewSID finished, all those services are started.
    I can see network computers, but i can only access the files of one - it is protected with an username/password, the others aren't (allow guest access). It asks me for the username and password, i type it in and it works. I don't know if it matters but the computer i can connect to and see it's files is running FreeBSD (similar to Linux) and is also the DHCP server and network gateway for the LAN.
    When i try to connect to any of the other computers (running Windows 2003 Server and Windows Vista), i get
    "\\whatever is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."
    I still cannot connect to the computer with "problems" via Remote Desktop (and i can't try from the FreeBSD machine because i don't use a graphic environment there).
    If i use that computer's IP instead of it's netbios name, the same thing happens as described in my first post (i get: Remote Desktop cannot verify the identitfy of the computer...) and after i click yes nothing happens - it doesn't connect. This all works on other computers running Windows that i have, and they all use DHCP. So that's kinda importnat - Remote Desktop still does NOT work.
    The thing that did change is that i can access the files of the computer in question via \\IP, but still not via \\NAME. Note that when i try to access \\name-that-doesnt-exist from a Vista computer i get an error dialog "Windows cannot find '\\whatever'. Check the spelling and try again.", but when i try to access \\name-of-that-computer i get a different (custom, not default error with the error icon) dialog, named "Network Error" and saying:
    Windows cannot access \\name (in blueish bigger text)

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

When i click details i see:
    Error code: 0x80070035
    The network path was not found.

If i click Diagnose it says:
    Windows cannot find "name" (note it's in quotes now and without slashes, this line again in blueish bigger text)

Windows sent the request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was unknown.

Also a note: my windows XP login and password are the same as on Vista (which is even a bigger reason that it should work).. Is there some way i can make XP ask me for username\password when i try to connect to a share? Note, though, that i can even access those Vista shares from Linux on the "broken" computer and i don't need a password for that.

I can connect to some other Windows XP machine from this Vista computer via Remote Desktop and also to the Windows 2003 machine and it works. The problematic computer has XP fully updated and with SP2 installed.
    Another weird thing is, although i can see the Vista computer when i click "view workgroup computers" on the broken machine now, i cannot remote desktop into the vista machine from it unless i use it's IP, if i use it's name it says it cannot find it (even though it does see it as a workgroup computer obviously).
    If you need more info say :)

Also, i do not use a firewall on any of the machines (not that i know of at least - windows firewall is disabled everywhere), only a firewall on the gateway machine, but that firewall passes trough all LAN activity (it's only for internet access, which is also on another lan card).
    I checked with the FreeBSD machine, from the nmbd log: "Samba name server (netbios name of the FreeBSD machine) is now a local master browser for workgroup (my workgroup) on subnet (ip of FreeBSD machine)"
    The nmbd log displays no errors, neither does the smbd log.

Thanks again,
    MrBrdo

8. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

I'm sorry if that was a too big description, i'm just trying to tell as much as i know about the problem. Still need help.

9. jmwills

jmwills

Please post an ipconfig /all from one of the good machines and one from the machine that cannot connect to the others.

10. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply.
    Good machine (Vista OS - there is another machine that is also good with Windows 2003 and one with Windows XP):
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mrbrdo-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mrbrdo.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mrbrdo.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-5C-88-8F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4c22:a8ba:d6cf:f754%8(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.10(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10. november 2007 20:11:58
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10. november 2007 20:22:01
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201330666
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.255.209.77
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Broken PC (XP OS):
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mrbrdohp
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mrbrdo.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mrbrdo.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-77-D3-73-02
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.255.209.77
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10. november 2007 21:07:41
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10. november 2007 21:17:41

11. mrbrdo

mrbrdo Thread Starter

Huh, that "Node Type Peer-Peer" seemed weird to me so i googled it. Changing it to "Hybrid" fixed the problem! Peer-Peer means it only works with a WINS server which i don't use.

Instructions for anyone having this problem:
    1- Open dos prompt, type ipconfig -all.

2- Look at the 'Node Type' it probably says Peer-Peer or something (this is

what mine said)

.... we want it to say 'Hybrid'

3- Press 'Start' button > Run... > In the box type regedit. This opens your

system's registry.

4- Navigate the tree to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters

5- Rt. mouse click and select New > DWORD Value

6- Name it 'NodeType' (without the quotes)

7- Rt. mouse click on it and select Modify

8- Set Value Data to '8' (no quotes)

9- Leave Base alone. 'Hexadecimal' should be selected

10- Press 'ok'

11- Close regedit and reboot. (Your done!)

12- Open dos prompt and type ipconfig -all

For node type it should now say 'Hybrid'

13- Do this to the other computer that you cannot network. Your computers

should be able to see one another.

Thanks for all the help!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice