1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Workgroup sharing and its frustrations

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lefty.crupps, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lefty.crupps

lefty.crupps Thread Starter

I have a client with 100 older Windows machines, all set up on a workgroup "Office". They can see each other in the "My Network Places/View Workgroup Computers" option in WinXP.

Some of these in the Workgroup allow access to their files; others prompt for a username and password. Huh?

OK, now I added another 10 new XP machines; once I updated their Workgroup name to "Office" some of them appear on the Workgroup list and others do not. Of those that appear, some prompt for username and password; others do not; yet others are "Not accessible; you may not have permission to view these files."

Some of the new computers have the option "Make my folders private" checkmarked and greyed out :( while others have no checkmark. I cannot find a way to uncheck those greyed out machines.

All of the new machines have "Enable simple file sharing (Recommended)" selected.

Yeah yeah, i know -- use Linux. I cannot. This isn't my choice here, and its just a huge frustration trying to get XP and the workgroup to act like a basic, unfettered workgroup.

I want access to everything, everywhere. But no matter which way I configure the options, some machines work and others do not. Is there one set of basic settings that I should have? And how do i uncheck the "Make Private" option for users My Documents folders?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you create an account on the XP machines with the same name/password as is used to login to the connecting machine, the password prompt will go away.

3. lefty.crupps

Thanks for the response.

>If you create an account on the XP machines with the same name/password as
    >used to login to the connecting machine, the password prompt will go away

On all 110 machines I am to add all 109 other users? That just doesn't seem feasible to me. And being that I was a part of the upgrade cycle from Win2k to WinXP just a few months ago, I know for certain that the currently-working "Office"-workgroup computers do not have all of these other accounts on them.

To help clarify, some of the "Office" workgroup machines (those that are working) prompt for a password while others go directly to directory with some My Documents, some shared folders on their C drive, some other mounted drives (such as external USBs and networked/mapped drives), and a list of available printers on that machine.

I am aware that workgroups are not good for systems with over, say, 10 computers (especially since there isn't really inbuilt security). Regardless, there has to be some sort of common setup for all of these machines to get the workgroup to function, and I am not finding it.

How do I un-grey the "Do not share my files" so that I can uncheck it? I feel like this is a major part of my issues...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you're right, that doesn't seem all that practical. :)

5. TheDude5555

TheDude5555

Any network over 10 computers or so should be setup as a domain instead of a workgroup to avoid problems exactly like you are talking about. I would propose to your client getting at least one server for this purpose. I am suprised to hear about a network so large without a server.

6. lefty.crupps

>I would propose to your client getting at least one server for this purpose

Agreed. They do have a Windows 2003 server and a Linux Pick-database, but for some reason they don't want to authenticate against them (or haven't yet done so). Maybe this will be my recommendation when I speak with them next.

Regardless, my question hasn't really been answered, which basically was, "how does one set up a computer to join an existing workgroup?" I thought this (workgroup) was the easy way to set up Windows' networking, but maybe not so much!! Even the "un-grey the 'hide my files'" solution seems unknown... So many variations and quicks (features?), it seems, just within XP!

Thanks for the help anyways, guys. I'll post again if we solve the issue.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

With a 10 computer connection limit with XP - "I want access to everything, everywhere" - is going to be a cumbersome at best if not impossible. You can't have that many computers with XP accessing everything. Just not designed for it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice