1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Working on a 1/4 mile point-to-point wifi connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TechGuy, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm working on creating a point-to-point wireless network between my computer store and a car wash I own that's about 1 /4 mile away. I thought I might start a thread to share the progress along the way. :)

The goal is to be able to provide Internet service for credit card payments as well as security camera monitoring. I'm hopeful that the connection will be stable and low latency enough to also allow for VOIP.

upload_2018-7-5_14-17-26.png

Next door to the computer store is a home that was once owned by the local ambulance squad. They've got a tall tower still there that is no longer in use. We've made arrangements to be able to put a Ubiquiti Nanobeam on it, which will have a clear line-of-sight to the car wash. We got a tower that was once used by a home to receive TV signals and put it up at the car wash. On Monday, I got up in the bucket truck and mounted the Nanobeam there. (Photos below.) We still need to run conduit and cables to the tower on the computer store side and then climb that tower (as the bucket truck won't reach). It should be fun! I don't think that'll get done next week, but hopefully the week after.

tower2.jpg

tower1.jpg

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Looks nice. Any concerns about snow and ice buildup on the antennas during winter?

3. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    I don't think that will be a problem. I've used NanoStations many times in the past for shorter runs and have never had a problem. Those have more of a flat front while these are a little rounded. Still, they're smooth and vertical enough that I don't think much will collect there, at least not for long. Time will tell. ;) Now, I would not be surprised if the link is compromised during an especially thick snow storm.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm guessing not many cars washed until after thick snow storms. :D

TechGuy likes this.
  5. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Ha! You might be surprised. I'm always shocked when I see people in there washing their car during rain storms. I guess they've got to get those bird droppings off!

6. valis

valis Moderator

And salt. Do NOT forget about the salt.

CrazyComputerMan and TechGuy like this.
  7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That would have been my suggestion to use the Ubiquiti equipment. Nice project.

Oh and on the ice build up, it's not a concern on any outdoor access point as they have built in heater elements in them. That's why they require either dedicated power supplies or run on PoE+ or the new 60W PoE standard.

8. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm almost certain that the Nanobeams don't have heaters. The Poe injector is only 24v. Even so, I think the form factor will lead to little build up, at least outside of the Arctic. Hopefully I won't be proven wrong. ;)

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That's interesting. All the Aruba Networks outdoor APs have built in heater elements. That's why I thought the Ubiquiti would have it. And Ubiquiti using 24V for their PoE injector is definitely proprietary to them. Everyone else uses 48V which conforms to the IEEE standard for all the various versions of PoE.

TechGuy likes this.
  10. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    You're right. I hate that some of their stuff isn't 802.3af/at. There's really no excuse for it these days.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Their newer stuff is finally moving to 48V which makes it so much easier to purchase switches for.

TechGuy likes this.
  12. KKLC

KKLC

this is an interesting project. please let us know what speed you are getting from the car wash after you implement it.

13. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm planning to climb up the tower tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. I'm hoping to have enough time to get everything mounted and start aiming. Fingers crossed! :D

14. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Be careful!

15. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Post a full view of this "Tower"?
    If some else is there, have you in the photo, so we can see that you do climb towers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice