1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Working to fix spinning wheel issue

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by PE_Mac, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

Looking for a solution for having spinning wheel more than not, I came across the information at MacRumors to run
    fsck -y. It failed to check my disk, so I then found the info to run it as fsck -fy. The result after it checked came up as follows:

**Checking journaled HFS Plus volume.
    fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.
    fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking
    bash-3.2#

I don't know what to do with this information. Can you help me out?

2. Headrush

Headrush

Can you tell us more about your system?
    Which Mac?
    How much RAM?
    How full is hard drive?

Are you running these commands from the system you are booted from?

3. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

Which Mac? iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
    SMC Version (system): 1.71f21
    Serial Number (system): D25FM04NDHJT
    Hardware UUID: B2BF348D-1858-5D0C-A0C4-4E805D65A662

My Yosemite drive is 413.61 GB free of 794.72 GB

Are you running these commands from the system you are booted from? Yes

4. Headrush

Headrush

Can you just start Disk Utility and run Verify Disk on your startup volume.

5. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

Verify Disk reports that it seems to be OK.

Actually, in using my computer last night and this morning, I haven't had the spinning ball at all. Before that I could hardly do anything without getting it and kept having to hard boot my Mac to get it to stop. In running the fsck -fy command yesterday, it may have fixed my problem after all. When I read the "No checking performed." I thought it hadn't done anything, but now I'm wondering.

6. Headrush

Headrush

1) I wouldn't use fsck from the command line.
    2) When a hard disk is unmounted cleanly (on shutdown for example), or a previous scan has been done, the hard drive is marked clean and by default another scan isn't done. (Why you see that output)

Did you recently add some new files onto the hard drive?
    When spotlight indexes new files on occasion it can slow things down and sometimes I've seen it get "stuck" on some files.
    Eventually it gets everything done.

Another time you see the spinning beach ball is a hard drive that doesn't spin up fast.
    Before I moved to a Fusion drive, I used to see that on my iMac which is almost the same as yours with a few modifications.

7. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

It had recently updated Yosemite. Maybe spotlight was the problem, but whatever it was, it seems to be working perfectly today, so I'm a happy camper again. Thanks for the support.

PegM

8. Headrush

Headrush

9. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

Probably connected. After leaving my computer on for several hours, it got faster and seemed okay, but then the spinning wheel coming on constantly was new. It had been coming on before, but not nearly as often and using Command+Option+Escape would usually work. When the almost constant spinning started, that combination no longer worked and only the hard boot would stop it as far as I could find. It still seems fine all day yesterday and this morning. I'm not sure what solved it, the Spotlight indexing or fsck -fy.

When I ran fsck -fy I ran it as soon as I restarted the computer and the white screen came up. The instructions said (hold down Apple-S while turning on machine. When the apple appears release the keys) but mine never appeared. However the black screen with the white text did so when it finished, I entered fsck-fy and hit enter. When it finished, the end of the text was what I originally posted in this string. I thought it hadn't finished properly when it said "No checking preformed."

I hope that helps to clarify what I did. I don't know a lot about computers, but if I find a solution on a site I trust, I will usually give it a try when I'm having trouble.

PegM

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!