1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Working with Word/Excel files in Publisher

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by robj, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robj

robj Thread Starter

I want to insert Word and Exel documents into Publisher so that I can crop them to irregular shapes. The crop tools are only available when a picture is inserted. I need to know if there is a way to save Word/Excel in different formats so that they can be treated as pictures for manipulation purposes. It would help if they would also open in PSP as that would give me some more options.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

what version of pub are you running?

i'm using 2002 and you can do it all inside of publisher

start with a blank page
    file, open -> select a word document
    pub will convert it
    save as - jpg
    then insert the saved jpg back into a pub page and use the crop function in publisher once the image is inserted

or use an image editor to crop the sections you want and insert that cropped image

didn't try it with an excel file, but they're listed in the 'open' dialogue so i imagine it would work

looked at pub 98 on the other PC and it has similar features, but obviously won't recognize newer versions of word or excel files

not sure why you want to do this ;)
    but you could pdf a word file then open it in photoshop or similar program and do similar changes, saving as a jpg at the end

3. robj

robj Thread Starter

Hi jbcalg
    Thanks for your reply. I'm using Pub 2000.

Don't quite understand.....

When I do file > open (in a blank Pub Page, yes?) the option to select a word doc is not available. I've tried Insert>Text file and put in the Word doc but "Save as" then doesn't give the option to save as jpeg. Before I posted originally, I'd guessed that saving as jpeg was needed but couldn't find a way of doing it.

(BTW, I'm doing this as a project on making a leaflet with school children!)

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> not sure why you want to do this :)

Training documentation?

I don't use Publisher, no doubt jbcalg's advice in that regard is sound.

Somethings else you might find useful ; in Excel, for grabbing worksheet areas, holding down Shift "reveals" a Copy Picture option on the Edit menu. For full screen stuff, I've often used ALT (or CTRL, both work slightly differently, can't remember which does what) and PrintScreen, followed by pasting in PaintBrush (sorry, I'm so retro ;) ) and cropping therein.

HTH,
    Andy

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

note: meant to ask earlier - what program is PSP from your first post?

could be the 2002 version was a big jump from the 2000 (which i have, just not installed on any of the PCs so i'm 'guessing' from what Pub98 could/couldn't do)

[​IMG]
    here's a screen shot of what i meant about 'opening' a word doc (along with some other choices)
    - new, then a catalogue opens, more files, then you get this screen
    - problem with Pub98 is that you could only 'save as' pub
    - not sure about 2000 but in 2002 you can 'save as' jpg and other file types

i think the basic problem is trying to use Pub beyond it's capabilities (which 2002 has tho ;()

if you overlap the text box areas, and 'save as' html or publish to a web site Pub should treat the overlapped areas as a graphic
    - which you could then insert and crop etc

re: making a leaflet (a pamphlet? or a small leaf? :))
    - i'd suggest using an image editor (irfanview is a nice free one: www.irfanview.com) to crop/edit pictures first, then insert them into Pub
    - do not use .bmp files, too big, always convert them first
    - as XL Guru suggests, you can use screenshots of different files/documents as your image sources
    (...and Paintbrush is still a fine product ;))
    - once you have your images, insert them in or around the text box areas you're using (you can copy/paste the contents of word docs, or excel sheets into Pub text boxes - may want to c/p into notepad first, then into Pub, the original formatting sometimes confuses Pub)

Pub also has some design 'wizards' that might help

basically tho - get/make your images, then insert them into Pub

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice