1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Works 8.5 Mail Merge Error - works on another machine on network though?!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Ben B, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ben B

Ben B Thread Starter

I use MS Works (8.5) database for my company booking info, and mail merge the database into confirmation letters etc (MS Works word processor).

My office has a few computers networked, and they've all got works 8.5 on them, all of them mail merge without problems - except for my own desktop machine!!

As soon as I select Tools > Mail Merge > Open Data Source I get the error:

'Works cannot open the mail merge list you selected. The file may be damaged, or it may be in a file format that Works does not support.'

Can I stress again - these files work fine on all other machines (all XP), and the message pops up before I even select which file to merge with!!? Literally when I hit the menu item!

I tried uninstalling Works, removing all mention in the registry, and reinstalling - it still does it. The database file and letter files to merge them with are all held on another computer in the office, all computers access them the same way - using the MSHOME network, no workgroup or anything.

Any ideas?? Please help!!

I just tried opening one of the mail-merge letters and linking it to a completely empty database file, saving it and trying that on the problem computer. It still gave the error.

So it's 100% not the contents of any of the database fields that are causing this.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You (your machine or user account) may have a permission issue at getting access to this "Data Source". Have your IT people check out the network sharing and access to this file.

3. Ben B

Ben B Thread Starter

It's only a Windows 'home' network, and I'm the director, IT guy, tea-boy all-in-one! So I've got nobody else to ask! How do I check the permissions etc of files on a windows network? I'm the administrator User on my machine too.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What is different on the problem machine vs. one that this merge works on?
    Is there a different OS if so what are the two different OS's?

What firewalls are being used and does this problem machine has access to the source machine?

5. Ben B

Ben B Thread Starter

Both are Windows XP, SP3. Only using Windows Firewall, nothing extra. All machines access each other on the network without problems, our 'server' machine where files are all stored and the other machines on the network all talk to each other without problem, it's only when I try to mail-merge in Works I have trouble!

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Are you sure that you have the correct "Path" entered to the source file?

7. Ben B

Ben B Thread Starter

That's the confusing thing - it doesn't even give me the option of looking for a file, it give the eror as soon as I click on 'Open Data Source'

8. Ben B

Ben B Thread Starter

I tried linking the letter to a completely empty database file, then opening it on my computer (in case it was some of the content of the database that was throwing up errors) but it still happened

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice