1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Works Database - Cannot Save

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kymillie, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

Been using Works for years and have never had this happen before. If I make a change in the database and try to SAVE, the program just closes, no error message. I re-open and the changes obviously have reverted to original state. I have run AdAWare, Spybot, AVG is up to date and runs nightly and am clean. I reinstalled MSWorks (just over the old program) and thought it was fixed, but now it is doing it again. Very frustrating:mad: Yes, I do get the message about more than 500 fonts, but since I have XP, I have been told that this is not critical anymore. Any ideas or suggestions? ... Millie in KY

2. OBP

OBP

Have you tried opening a new (blank) database and tested it to see if it still happens with that?
    This will check if it is Works or your database that has the problem.

3. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

Well, I tried that and it saved OK. The problem is that SOMETIMES my regular database will save and sometimes it will not. I have gotten so I make one change at a time and try to save. If it does, then I add another change, Save, etc. But sometimes, it does not save at all, the program just closes. I am trying to determine what I am doing that is different and cannot.... :confused:

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

Hi. Can't find anything for this in Works FAQs (I took me a while to even find the 500 fonts thing).

Possibly the d-base itself is feeling its age. Have you tried copying the data to a new d-base to see how that fares?

5. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

Believe me I have searched everywhere to try to find a solution to this. MS support, Googled various combinations of the problem, etc., etc. Even called Gateway (big mistake) since it was installed on this computer (my request--it was time to upgrade it) when I got it and good old MS does not offer support on OEM programs. Gateway techs did not have a clue and spent an hour doing stuff that was not necessary. Oh well... I will try copying to new database and see what happens. Re Age--The database was created in February, has about 8 fields and 180 entries (names, addresses, etc. for a HS reunion). Trouble is, it will be OK for a day and then start acting up again. :( And BTW, I have tried renaming the file and then saving with a new name and that did not work either. Well, it did for a day or two, then went kaput again. Sorry to be so wordy.

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

No need to apologise. No offence intended, but most people have very little time for Works. While I'm not a huge fan of OpenOffice, I'd recommend under the circumstances that you give it a whirl.

Rgds,
    bomb

http://www.openoffice.org/

7. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

I have used some version of Works (all parts) ever since I got a computer years ago. The Database and SS, as well as Word Processor, have served me well since I am do not use it in a business, but for private needs. I just wish I could figure out why, all of a sudden, a database is acting up like this.....

8. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

More Strange Info. When I tried to save this last time, I also checked Make Backup Copy. Program closed (did not save) and the backup copy is named wK36xxxx (no file extension). I did copy and paste the data into a new database and saved and renamed but do not know what will happen when I open THAT one and try to save it. I also lost all my reports. Can I import them into the new one?

9. bomb #21

bomb #21

10. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

I am sorry for confusion. Of course, my reports did not transfer to the new database. I had done exactly what that article said to do, but now have to re-create all my reports. On one of them, the filters were sort of complex and I will just go back and see what they are in the old DB and re-create them. A real PITA, since I never did find out what caused this in the first place. Seems like there would be a HELP site for MSWorks users that would address this issue because surely this is not the first time this has happened.

11. bomb #21

bomb #21

12. kymillie

kymillie Thread Starter

Well, thanks for your concern anyway. Also will check out that site...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/465427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice