1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Works spreadsheet date / time keys

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lady18wheels, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lady18wheels

Lady18wheels Thread Starter

Does anybody know the key combination to insert the date or time in a cell? Does Works spreadsheet even have these shortcut keys?

2. Michael S.

Michael S.

Alt+I>T

3. Lady18wheels

Mike, all I get doing this is the Insert menu and the Tools menu. Any other suggestions?

4. Michael S.

Michael S.

If you click on insert, yoiu should get a drop-down that lists "dat and Time". You don't have that?

5. Lady18wheels

No. Insert drop-down has stuff like "Insert row", "Insert column", etc. I can insert a function and Range Name from here. I could use the function Now(), but I need the times to stay constant.

6. Michael S.

Michael S.

Looks like ur using Excel. I remember that Insert doesn't have "date and Time "option like Word does, but there is a way that you can enter "TODAY" in a cell and it will appear as the current date that it is when the program is opened on.

Show All
    Insert the current date and time in a cell
    Insert a static date or time
    Current date Select a cell and press CTRL+;
    Current time Select a cell and press CTRL+SHIFT+;
    Current date and time Select a cell and press CTRL+; then SPACE then CTRL+SHIFT+;
    Insert a date or time whose value is updated
    Use the TODAY and NOW functions to do this task.
    Worksheet example
    The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.
    How?
    Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
    Select the example in the Help topic. Do not select the row or column headers.
    FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Selecting an example from Help"
    Selecting an example from Help
    Press CTRL+C.
    In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
    To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Tools menu, point to Formula Auditing, and then click Formula Auditing Mode.

A B
    1 Formula Description (Result)
    2 =TODAY() Current date (varies)
    3 =NOW() Current date and time (varies)
    Note The NOW() and TODAY() functions change only when the worksheet is calculated or when a macro that contains the function is run. They are not updated continuously. The date and time used are taken from the computer's system clock.
    Function details
    TODAY
    NOW

This is the help menu I pulled for this.

Michael S.

7. Michael S.

Michael S.

I don't think that copied right, let me try to find out more.

8. Michael S.

Michael S.

I understand now. This is not Excel, but a program that works with it. That's why I thought of Excel commands, but this isn't a program I have used, so I don't know how the menus are arranged or the hot-keys. I'm sorry.

9. Lady18wheels

I appreciate it anyway.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice