1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Works Suite 2001 installed over Word 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mark3, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark3

mark3 Thread Starter

I recently Purchased Works Suite 2001 and I would like to install it. I have had Office 97 for several years. Must I take Office 97 off before I install Works Suite 2001? If so, what happens to all the data files associated with Word Excell etc?
    My concern stems from the fact that Works has Word 2000 as one of the installs.
    Thanks......Mark3:)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mark
    Welcome to TSG!
    The Lady who can really answer that question for you is not online at the moment. She is Dreamboat and usually stops by once or twice a day to check things out.
    Dave

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Mark.

First, I'm not the only one around here that can answer this question--far from it. But I love Davey's confidence in me! And he did private message me special. I'm doing something else, so otherwise would not have come in anymore tonight. (Probably not, anyway)

But, I'll tell you what I'd like to see you do.

Do a search right here at Tech Support Guy and look for the words "file association". You'll find where I tell someone (and probably other posts too) how to Shift+Right-click on a filename, and then associate to whatever program you like. If you find it, and then you install Works/Word and have the problem you mention, you can revert right back to Word 97 being your default Word--which I may also recommend.

I strongly suggest you install this into a folder called Works, and do not let it (default) install to the Program files.

I am not sure if Word with Works is a "true" Word or not. If it is, I'm not sure that it comes with Works, so much as it comes with your PC. Once you install it, however, let me know what tabs you have under Tools-Options, and I'll know right away.

If you DO have the real Word 2000, then may I suggest the following setup after you've installed it?

1. Tools-Customize, Options tab. Remove checkmarks in top two checkboxes.

2. Tools-Autocorrect, Autoformat as you type tab. Remove checkmarks from top and bottom sections, leaving the middle section alone.

3. Tools-Options, Save tab. Choose "don't use features not available in Word 97".

That should about do it for ya. Don't hesitate to ask questions and/or to be specific.

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

on the surface, looks like works suite 2001 comes with word 2000 - a big surprise since works has always had a lower version of word, excel, and functionality etc than the office suite
    - office lite i've always called it, but the distinction appears to be lessening

it's being replaced by works suite 2002 - the xp version

so i'd go with DB's advice and try to install it away from the office 97/word 97 files

you might also want to read this review - looks like there will be some changes made to your existing Office apps

- and get ready for a long install - 50 minutes, 3 or 4 reboots, etc - looks like you'll pay for the added features one way or another :)

5. mark3

mark3 Thread Starter

Thx all for your help......mark3

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice