1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Works Suite

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dagjsmom, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dagjsmom

dagjsmom Thread Starter

I am a novice so bare with me. I have a new Gateway computer...using XP operating system. I had Works Suite installed on my computer. Yesterday while using Word I noticed that when I inserted some pictures that I couldn't view them in the document. I didn't know what was wrong so I decided to uninstall word and try to reinstall it to see if that would take care of the problem. Well, it wouldn't install again. I ended up calling Gateway and spending over 2 1/2 hours on the phone with three different tech support people and after trying several things with them...they finally told me that something was wrong with the Works Suite disk (that I got in Jan from them) and that it was not under warranty. So basically tough luck. Well, I was going to buy another software package today but I brought the disk to work with me and tried to upload it on my work computer and it worked!!! Now, I don't know what to do. Gateway did have me try other disks and they would upload. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

While you say "it wouldn't install again", you have not said exactly what happens when you try.

Such information (exact error messages etc) is critical to any resolution.

3. DocShock

DocShock

Wonder if system restore and then the reinstall might work? Did you do anything other than uninstall the program? Are you sure it is completely removed?

What about trying the disc in another CD drive on your computer (assuming you have more than one).

4. dagjsmom

dagjsmom Thread Starter

I ended up calling Gateway back again last night. This time I got a tech rep that was really good. She worked it out for me. She had me do a complete restore back to the factory installed software. Course I lost everything saved but it was worth it to get my computer back to the way it was.

To answer a few questions for others that may encounter the same problem.
    The error I kept getting was some kind of fatal error. It wouldn't even read the disk. Sometimes the hour glass would just keep spinning.

I didn't do anything other than uninstall Word.

I only have one CD drive.

Thanks for the reponses.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/353998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice