1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Works - then nothing - but still running...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hugenstein, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hugenstein

Hugenstein Thread Starter

I just got a custom-built computer on Friday. Worked fantastic for the first 4 days, but yesterday it started dying with no warning. Hard drive stops spinning (if spinning), no more video or sound. Lights still on and fan still running. I restarted it and it does the same thing, it runs for a variable length of time then dies. At one point, after shutting it down, it tries to restart itself, then stops. Starts, then stops. I unplug it for minute, and then it'll start up all the way, but then cut out after a few minutes.

Does it sound like a power supply or software?

I'm so bummin'. The machine was a monster when running.

:confused: :(

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Fan on cpu spinning? Could be overheating cpu?

3. Hugenstein

Thanks for the reply, first off. I knew I would be doing a ton of gaming, so I had four fans put on the case. They all keep spinning after the "blackout". With all the air getting sucked out of that case, I would guess it's suffering from oxygen depravation if it were organic. The more posts I read, the more I fear its a power supply or MB issues. Both of which blow since I want to be playing games this weekend!! I need to get a life.

Thanks.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes, there may be a place in the systems bios you can monitor the processors heat, take a look. On some systems there is an alarm that goes off if the system overheats. I think that if the hard drive stops spinning it would be more of a power supply issue. Did this new system come with some kind of warranty? If so take it back to the shop and let them find out whats wrong.

5. Hugenstein

AcaCandy, you are the man. I let my computer go black like it has been and no more that 5 seconds later the cpu fan would stop turning. I'm not sure if it's a chicken or the egg thing, but when I tried to restart it and it wouldn't boot, I noticed the fan would never start turning. The company's sending a new CPU fan. Hopefully that'll do it...

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Yes, some systems are designed to shut down to preserve the cpu from overheating and/or burning up if the fan stops spinning. So I suggest you stop playing around with it until the fan arrives ;)

7. suesman

suesman

Hope that works out for you, as it does sound like an overheating issue to me. AIDA32 will give you a CPU temp. If the new CPU fan does the trick, I would suggest downloading it & check the temps before & after a bit of gaming.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice