1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

works to MSWord

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by missfuffy, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missfuffy

missfuffy Thread Starter

I think I asked this before but cannot find the answer.
    I have several word processing documents which I originally used Works to create.
    Now, I am using MS Word 2002 and would like to be able to open, read, use and edit those Works word processing files into MSWord. If possible, can I proceed one at a time or do I have to change EACH works document individually?
    Using WindowsXP on a Dell 8250...thanks, missfuffy

2. RandyG

RandyG

I would suggest Opening Word and the going to File, Open, and in Files of Type selecting Works 2000 or Works 4, whichever Works you used to have. After opening them, I would then save them as Word Docs.

You could try changing the File associations, but it can go wrong. If you wish to try, then you could go through the route of holding Shift key down while right-clicking one of the works files in Explorer, and then selecting Open With. You then select Microsoft Word, and make sure you place a checkmark in Always use this program to open these files. This way, whenever you double-click those files to open them, they will open in Word.

3. missfuffy

missfuffy Thread Starter

Iam sorry but, I really do not understand how to open a file I had written using works and changing it to Word2002.
    Could you please be a little bit more specific? thank you
    missfuffy

4. RandyG

RandyG

Open your Word program.

Click on File, Open. This opens up a Windows browser. Go the folder you have stored your Works programs in, and at the bottom, just below the File Name box, you will see the Files of Type box. Click the downward pointing arrow to the right of the drop-down boax and select Works 2000 or Works 4, whichever Works you used to have. This selection will display only Works files. It is normally defaulted to standard Word Docs. You may also select All Files which will display everything, even things you would not normally try to open in Word.

When you see the Works document you want to open, then select it and click Open at bottom right, or just hit enter. You can even double-click it.

Now your works document is opened within Word. You next click on File, Save As which will open another Windows Browser. You will probably want to save it in the same folder as you originally had it, but if not, then navigate to the folder you want to save the Word document into. When you have located that folder, then in the Save As Type, select Word Document, keep the name the same or change it in the File Name box, and then click Save.

You have now converted a Works document into a Word document (providing it was originally Works 4 or Works 2000.

5. missfuffy

missfuffy Thread Starter

Aha! Now I think I have it. Thank you.... missfuffy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice