1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

World Of Warcraft and nv4_disp

Discussion in 'Games' started by LostInKY, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LostInKY

LostInKY Thread Starter

Ok I have been playing wow for about year and half now again, since I quit last time. Out of the blue last night I got wierd flashes on my screen of color now and then. Now I know my graphic card is ok, and my ram and all that. But last night the flashes of color suddenly turned into locking up wow and going to the blue screen of death saying device drive got stuck in loop. This indicates problem with device itself or with device driver programing the hardware incorrectly. Ok so I figured I will update my drivers, so I uninstalled old ones in safe mode, after downloading the new updated ones for my video card installed again in safe mode and restarted computer worked fine for a few mins then started gettin the lil strips of color here and there and locking up again. It also gives this OxOOOOOOEA. Ive looked and looked around and lots are having the problem but nobody really has a solution so far. Its now doing it on even browsing web now and then or opening up some programs and screen flashes *just did it again*.Im really hoping sombody has a solution for me i cant afford to just up and buy a new computer.

Windows Xp Professional service pack 2
    Nvidia BeForce 6200 A-LE *agp card*
    1 gig of ram *yes its not alot but its been running fine in past year and half on low settings*
    AMD Athlon 64 3200 2.2 ghz
    motherboard biostar K8t800-a7a

*update* I am still gettin same error but i had to uninstall any drivers thru safe mode to do with the video card because it would not even boot up it would just blue screen now. Now only way i can run my computer is on either safe mode or regular mode with no drivers otherwise it wont boot up. So pretty much anything i try to put any video drivers in now whether they the old ones or the new updated ones the computer refuses to boot up all the way and blue screens with that errror. Without yeah the crap screen but it boots, how could i get it to use the xp drivers for display? or should i even bother with that? PLEASE HELP!

2. bobelinho

bobelinho

3. LostInKY

LostInKY Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, and although i think it had something to do with wow that caused it all, im not so sure that it is completely wow doing it. Cause now it just wont boot up and stay there without screen flashing if i put in the nvidia drivers cause it will go back to the bsod. Long as they arent there it will boot up but not with the drivers.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    My initial thoughts were that your graphics card is on it's way out. It could also be power, RAM or other things.

What PSU do you have and how old is it?
    Have you run Memtest on the RAM, if so for how long?
    Have you tried a burn in test with something like Furmark on the GPU? I always run HWMonitor along side something like this to keep an eye on temps.

I take it your system is all clean and tidy inside, no dust build up / heat issues?

Did you only play WoW, did it work OK on other games? Did the graphic problems only happen in games or in windows aswell?

5. LostInKY

LostInKY Thread Starter

Everything that you listed up there as far as checking yeah seems to be fine, no overheating, and it just kinna started in wow and i play other games yes but when it started doing it it pretty much messed up even booting up with the nvidia drivers in it at all now. Everywhere i have looked there seems to be posts about this but no solutions really. All i can gather so far that its possibly a thing that happens with xp and nvidia cards. Who knows i just want it fixed lol anything you can think of that i havent already tried id appreicate.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Apart from faulty hardware I am not entirely sure. I have been running an NVidia card on XP for the past 3-5 years and never experienced this problem myself, I may have been lucky.

The fact it got progressively worse still leads me along the lines of a hardware fault somewhere rather than drivers, but I am not an expert :)

Have you got access to any other card, older, newer, NVidia or ATI, pretty much anything that you can test with?

7. LostInKY

LostInKY Thread Starter

Ive tried almost everything, but still nothing is showing that its wrong. Yes i have been using windows xp for ages now not a problem at all running wow, it just out of the blue started doing this. Ive researched this over the net till im about to go nuts with no solutions. Everyone that has had this happen has said same thing, worked fine for years and then bam this error. I appreicate you trying to help tho i do,. thing is now since it messed up in wow, now its givin the error if i try to even remotely boot with nvidia drivers in it. I dont know any other drivers i could even try to put in it now, thought maybe windows would look for a driver in the windows folder somewhere to replace it or use instead, but i cant seem to get it to even look. Soooooooooooooo frustrated.

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    The only other thing I can suggest trying is give the NVidia Omega drivers a go, they can be found here www.omegadrivers.net

I used to use the ATI ones for some older cards and they were much better than ATI's own. They are based on the manufacturers drivers, it's worth a shot if it only has problems when you put the NVidia drivers on.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice