1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worm:Win32/Dorkbot!lnk

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by eddie888, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie888

eddie888 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 53003 MB, Free - 42521 MB; D: Total - 423933 MB, Free - 173579 MB;
    Motherboard: Wistron, 30B2
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. eddie888

eddie888 Thread Starter

My friend's computer (pc-A) must be infected with the Worm:Win32/Dorkbot!lnk and when I connected my external hard drive to pc-A it must have been infected. I then connected my ext HD to my laptop (pc-B) and MSE detected and quarantined the virus. All my files on my extHD have been hidden except for a Recycler file/folder.
    1. I think pc-B is ok. I quick scanned it with MSE and it showed no threats. But how can I be sure?
    2. My ext HD is probably still infected as all the files are still hidden. I started to scan it, then I saw another thread on this forum about the same subject which said not to scan yet. So I cancelled this scan. How do I clean this ext HD and unhide the files?
    3. pc-A has WinXPsp2 installed and is probably still infected as there is no running anti-virus. I was intending to completely reinstall WinXPsp3 on the C partition, after copying all data files on to the D partition. But now I am wondering whether the Worm is infecting all the D partition data as well, and I dont want to plug in my ext HD back into this pc. I want to reinstall XP anyway but what else should I do?
    Thank you very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!