1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worried About LAN Security

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lkzp, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lkzp

lkzp Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm new on here and it seems like a pretty big board so I'll just dive in.

Currently I'm on a wired connection to my router. I live in a student house with 13 other people. Recently I've become worried about the security of my PC. I feel I am adequately protected from the internet at large as I run BitDefender and I had a look at the router settings and everything seems ok.

However, I am worried about my PC's protection within the LAN. I'm no expert, however, I'm well aware of easy-to-use programs like Cain and Abel and people snooping around router logs, but I've become more suspicious lately. Today I when I was using my address bar on Chromium it was suddenly suggesting I search *Insert Chinese Characters* for "my search" *More Chinese Letters*; and yes, there are Chinese students in my house. I just get the feeling someone's snooping around the network.

I suppose what I'm asking here is:

Is there a decent software firewall I can use to further protect my PC?

Is there anyway to monitor unauthorized activity on my PC? What should I look out for?

What precautions should I take to minimize this risk?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The ones that come with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

I suppose, but it's better to keep people out with a firewall and a good login password. Actually, a login password is not sufficient if somebody can temporarily remove your hard drive or boot a (Linux) Live CD. Also use a BIOS password if you have that feature.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice