1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worried about losing 2000 docs

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lockeyp, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

I am thinking about upgrading from my office 2000 to 2003/2007, But I Have concerns about doing this. I dont wish/ want to lose any of the documents that I have created in Office 2000. I am running WinXP could anyone advise me to which is the better One of the Two,.that would run with XP.

Many Thanks

Lockeyp.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

An upgrade of the Office suite has no effect on stored documents. I assume, of course, that you have several back ups anyway if they're that important to you, right?

All listed versions of Office run equally well on Windows XP. That's not a factor in determining which version to use. For most people it's an issue of cost and compatibility.

3. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Hi DoubleHelix. Thanks for your quick response and information.
    So what your are saying is that a document in word 2000 will open in any of these offices. is that correct

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

They should open just fine in newer versions of Office but I can't preach to you enough that you should keep at least 2 backups of any document or file that is important to you.

Rollin

5. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Cheers Rollin. I will certainly take that on board.

Lockeyp

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The language of your post requires some interpretation. Your definition of "lose" is different from mine. I responded assuming the definition to be "deleted". Data files are most definitely not deleted or removed from a hard drive during an Office suite upgrade. Your definition of "lose" appears to be "not able to open".

There may indeed be some compatibility problems. That depends on how complex the files are and what fonts were used to create them. In most cases, Word and Excel files created in Office 2000 will open just fine in Office 2007. Access compatibility is a different matter and requires more research and explanation in order to determine the best plan of action.

7. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

I have another question still on the line of Office's I have heard that there's one of the office's that you can install it on two computers on One Licence as long as they are within the same home.

Could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks

Lockeyp

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most of the retail versions can be installed on 2 machine under your control such as your desktop and laptop. This assumes that they will not be in use at the same time.
    Also, there is the Home and Student version, which can be install on 3 different machines under your control. This version does NOT include Outlook or Access, but does have OneNotes.

See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101635841033.aspx

9. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

DoubleHelix. My Appologies to you for my grammer and spelling. I do suffer from dyslexia and sometimes I may get it wrong I do try

Appologies again;;;

Lockeyp

10. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Others will argue about this, but if it were me I would upgrade only to Office 2003. I've been a Word user almost since the program first came out years ago and can quickly do whatever I want to in 2003. I was forced at work to use Office 2007 and it is totally different. Not just in appearance, but in its concept of how commands are accessed (it essentially has no toolbars, but something they call a "ribbon" instead). Unless you have lots of time to learn it, I'd pass.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, 2003 will be much easier to use than 2007 or 2010 when it it released. But sooner or later if one is still around, they will be going to the NEW interface of MS Office, as MS will not be going back to the old way of doing things.

Yes, I started using Word for DOS when it first can out, and have gone through all of the changes.

12. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Thank you guys I think yous have made things a little easier, in my quest for an update to Office 2000. I shall try to get a hold of office 2003 before that gets out dated.

Lockeyp

13. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

I have noticed that if you put MS Office 2003 into your web browser it give you numerous FREE downloads can anyone tell me if these are truely free or NOT.

Lockeyp

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, it's most definitely not free. I do not recommend going with Office 2003. Technology changes. Change with it. Trying to stick in one place in time only leads to frustration. If you buy Office 2007 now, you get a free upgrade to Office 2010.

15. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Double Helix. Thanks for the info I will take that on board too.

Lockeyp

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!