Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Worse and scared after ZA!!!

919 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  OBP 
#1 ·
Trying to help someone who needed to get on the net in a pinch, I put Zone Alarm on his laptop. It immediately caused slow downs, and wouldn't let me remove it with it's own uninstall because it was a demo. So, I used add/remove programs. Then I went to the ZA site and found out what might remain in the registry, searched for it, it wasn't there.
The whole system was paralysed. I used Advanced System Optimizer to clean the registry, and then the programs would work, but both startup and shutdown took about 8 minutes. I tried reinstalling ZA with my own reg code, just so I could do another uninstall, using the right tool. I did that, but there was no improvement. When I tried starting in Safe Mode, I got a screen saying something was "stuck" and was directed to a bios page. Here was my biggest stupidest mistake: I said restore default bios. Dumb, dumb dumb!!!
After that, it would boot (still 8 minutes), but do nothing. I mean, I couldn't click on a thing that would work. I have no start menu...wait, it just came up, it took about 10 minutes!
What can I do? He has important data on here. I can't just wipe the disk! Is there a way to put the bios back to where they were when I clicked "restore default bios"????? Does that even matter? If I can get the programs to work again with ASO, is there another way to get startup and shutdown to work? Have I ruined everything?
Seriously, I'm shaking...please help if you can!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
The Bios may have another option to reset to the previous setting have you looked for it?
What version of Windows are you talking about?
As long as Windows loads you can do plenty to save his data to repair/reset windows.

#3 ·
It's Windows XPservice pack2, I'm not sure what XP (Home, pro) but think it's probably pro. I have no idea what to do next. I was thinking another system restore, though that's the first thing I did, I took it back to a week ago, it didn't fix the problem. Thank you so much, Mr. Life Preserver.

#4 ·
Bulletin: Advanced System restore registry cleaner & repair gave back the programs and the system seems to be working except for the hugely delayed startup and shutdown (about 8 minutes each). So, that's where it stands now. I haven't tried internet, since I'm not connect in this room...
I think I can get into system restore now, should I try to go back a month and see if that helps???

#5 ·
You need to check if "Safe Mode" is now available.
If it is working then start in safe mode and check how long it takes to start up.
If it is quicker then something in Start-up Progras or services is probably causing the delay.
Click Start>Run type in msconfig click OK, select Startup tab and unclick all the programs that are running and then reboot your computer in normal mode. If that fixes the slow start then re-enable each program one at a time until you find the culprit.
Services are a bit harder to do as you may turn off something you need running, but you could certainly check for anything to do with ZA.
You could also run a Hijackthis scan to see if there are any ZA elements left in te registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.