1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worst. Day. Ever.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jedis1000, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

I've had a nasty problem with my computer the whole day, and I NEED HELP DESPERATLY! I think it's the work of a virus, too!!

Problem #1: Boot sectors on my PC couldn't be found, therefore the OS(XP Home SP1) was not able to load up. I thought, "Ok, I'll check the forum." Got helpeful reply, but didn't seem to work because I didn't even know there was such thing as an administrator password, and I couldn't find out what my manufacturer set it to! So the brilliantly helpful page that would have worked perfectly didn't, because PowerSpec sucks royal @$$ and sets admin passwords for their customers.

Problem #2: I go into the BIOS to check why the OS couldn't be located, find that the computer can't seem to locate my one-and-only HD. "Well, this shouldn't be too difficult", so I go in and then set the drive to AUTO, thinking that it would straighten itself out.

Problem #3: It didn't straighten itself out. It says "No hard disk found."
    I say "#@$%@#$%!!!?!"

Please help me find my HD!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It amy need replacing. Check all the connections and cables. There is not much anyone can do unless the BIOS sees that drive. A BIOS update is about all you can do, and that is always risky and probably won't help since the drive was seen with your present BIOS.

You could try setting your BIOS to the default or setup settings.

3. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

Damn, I need to replace it?
    Anyone know of any good and cheap places in the Boston area that could do what I need them to do? This really sucks.

4. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

Could I take out the battery for like... 10 minutes so the CMOS/BIOS chip will drain it's memory of what hardware I have? Would that be too risky?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, you can reset the cmos. It won't hurt anything, I doubt it will help anything either but its worth a shot.

6. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks, man. That seemed to work OK. I took out the battery for 10 minutes and then I put it in after. It detects that there is actually a hard drive, so now I'm going to try using my system recovery disk.

Oh yeah, and does anyone know what a master boot record is? 0x80?

the second part looks like a memory address or something...

if i erased that master boot record would my recovery disk be able to do anything?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you can't get into windows you are most likely going to have to enter the bios and choose cdrom as your first boot device. It is usually in advanced bios settings. Then save and exit the bios. When you come back up it should read from the cdrom and start your recovery. Some manufacturers actually have an f10 or f2 something that will throw you right into the recovery. Look at your bios coming up, if there is a special key it should tell you. Sorry, I don't know where the master boot record is located.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. If the drive shows in BIOS, all is not lost yet.

Where did you see the message about the MBR? That can be repaired. You should try to fix it before you do anything else and lose data from the drive.

9. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

Finally. I got it working. I had drain the BIOS's memory of what it's supposed to find, and then it reset all of the hardware connections. Then I used the XP boot disks. After this, I deleted the Master boot partition on the hard-drive. This made it so that it would function just like it were just installed by the manufacturer. Finally, I used the recovery CD that came with my computer. Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot, you guys for all of the help you've given me throughout the day.
    Cheers

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for the followup info and good luck.

I have a question, though. How did you delete the MBR?

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Good deal.

12. 4steve44

4steve44

Glad to hear that you are doing OK now. But I can't resist once again to mention that a current backup is worth it's weight in Gold plated silicon. Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy will save your butt from a really bad day :eek: My system below speaks volumes ;) Think about it. the price for a good 40GB is around, Western Digital 40GB DMA100 7200RPM $55. How much is piece of mind worth? :D

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

14. 4steve44

4steve44

15. jedis1000

jedis1000 Thread Starter

Thanks for the links to everything. Maybe I'll consider some sort of fail-safe thing in case something liekt his happens again.

Elvandil: I actually didn't have to delete the Master Boot Record at all. This probably would have saved me some time if I hadn't. To do this, I used the recovery disk that came with the computer. Then when the options popped up in DOS, I pressed CTRL+Backspace. Then it gave me a bunch of options for what I wanted to do. One of them was delete the MBR. You'd probably have to contact the manufacturer or whoever made your recovery disks, if you have any. That's how I found out about the CTRL+backspace thing. I called tech support one day and they told me that. I guess I just got lucky when they told me.

So again, thanks a lot for all the help you guys gave me today. Things can move along pretty smoothly if you get help from the right people. (y)
    -John Larkin

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice