1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worst Problem Ever

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GRudger, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

Hi! I am in terribe, terrible pain, and am shaking with

My second hard drive has been COMPLETELY WIPED!!!

I have lost 25gigs worth of data. Is there anyway to restore it? when i click on the drive in explorer, it says,

"the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".

system restore says that

"changes made to drive(s) D: after this point cannot be reversedbecause the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring, or was turned off, or removed."

In computer management, it says the file system is RAW. Does this mean that is has somehow formatted itself?!!!

I recently changed the hard drives to sleep after two hours. could that have been the cause?

I tried to use chkdsk, but it doesn't even start.

PLEASE HELP!!!

MANY HOURS OF DOWNLOADS HAVE BEEN LOST

Also, one friend heard that if i put it into the freezer, the files could be restored.

IS THIS TRUE?

PLZ HELP, I WILL BE IN DEBT TO ANYONE WHO CAN FIX THIS GIGANTIC PROBLEM.

THANKS!

I have XP PRO

2. websurfer

websurfer

3. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

thanks for the link websurfer. i had to get the ntfs version tho, but its all good. also, it only found the files, it wont fix it, because its basically onyl a demo version, but ill get a full one somewhere.

4. drewwpb

drewwpb

GRudger...Sorry to here your trouble but here's the link to get the Full version (not Free) for Get Data Back....

Runtime.org

5. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

One question i did have is;

if i do get the full version of getdataback, will it restore my drive to its original(or close to) state, or will i have to copy all the files, then format the D: drive, and then transfer them back again?

thanks

6. Sephroth57

Sephroth57

just look on Kazaa for the full version, or go on google type in the full name of the program, and "key" or "registration key" you can probably find a key that way to register the full version from a demo

7. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

You wont believe this.

I transferred the files i could onto c: drive, formatted the d: drive, and put the files back on the d: drive.

turned the computer off, and turned it back on and the CMOS settings reset. (date)

went into BIOS, and it said it could see the D: drive, but when i loaded XP, it asked for activiation again.

activated it by phone, and went into explorer, but it wasnt even there.

SO this time, it cant even see the damn drive (even disk management). also, it takes about 5 mins to load XP at the boot screen!!

So, something is terribly wrong, and im back where im started.

I think i will have to return the HD.

8. jnibori

jnibori

GRudger- There might be a way you can retrieve your data using Knoppix, a Linux based OS that runs entirely from a CD.

You would have to use another computer to download Knoppix, then burn it as an .iso image to a CD.

I have tested it, and I easily able to copy folders and burn them to a cd entirely through Knoppix.

See here:

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!