1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worth an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wardinho, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wardinho

Wardinho Thread Starter

Im thinking of buying one of those xp media centres. (not the expensive ones). Basically I would appreciate anyone looking over its features and my current set up and let me know if you think its worth a change and just how much of a difference between the two. Not very computer literate.

My Current PC

Processor - AMD Athlon, MMX, 3D Now, ~1200Mhz
    Graphics - ATI Radeon 7200 AGP
    Memory - 256 MB RAM
    Motherboard - IWILL KA266-R
    Hard drive - 40GB

One Ive Seen

Processor - AMD 2700XP CPU (333 FSB WITH 256Mb L2 CACHE)
    Graphics - ONBOARD 64/128Mb 3D GRAPHICS CARD (SHARED MEMORY)
    Memory - 512MB DDR333 MEMORY
    Motherboard - M851G MOTHERBOARD 200\266\333\400 FSB(WILL TAKE CPU UP TO XP 3.2)
    Hard Drive - 120GB ATA133 HARD DISK DRIVE 8Mb CACHE (7,200rpm)

My main problem is I dont know how important the difference in motherboards or if the graphics (being on-board) makes a difference. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Even the cheapest off the shelf media centers are way overpriced.

You're PC is at the age where it would be worth upgrading to a Athlon 64 w/ a good vid card, and at least 512mb ram. but, with media centers being so overpriced, you'd do better by purchasing a aftermarket TV tuner card with a normal PC.

Also, with a good tuner card, you'll be able to use other programs that add the same functionality as windows media center, such as Sesam Media Center, Snapstream Beyond TV, Meedio, SageTV, MythTV. You'll have more choices of what works best for you, plus some (like meedio) offer even more functionality like home automation.

This tuner would be a good choice, it's compatable with third party software as well as Windows media Center if you decide later that you wanted to purchase that OS.. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006G36VI/

Windows Media Center OS is available here without the PC. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604650-604651&banner=bens

3. chevyguy123

chevyguy123

Ive got a Hp Media center and they are a bit overpriced, but it would be worth wild for you to just upgrade. You could turn your computer into a better one by upgrading i think anyway.

4. Wardinho

Wardinho Thread Starter

So a Media Centre is basically just a computer with a special OS and a tv tuner? Thats basically it?

What is worthwhile upgrading to bring my computer up to current standards?

My Current PC

Processor - AMD Athlon, MMX, 3D Now, ~1200Mhz
    Graphics - ATI Radeon 7200 AGP
    Memory - 256 MB RAM
    Motherboard - IWILL KA266-R
    Hard drive - 40GB

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When considering upgrading you need to ask yourself if your current PC is doing what you want it to. If its not then consider an upgrade. Don't upgrade because there's something new out.

If you decide you do need to upgrade decide what you intend to use it for. A cheap system may be no good at all depending on your requirements or maybe even the most basic one will do fine.

6. Wardinho

Wardinho Thread Starter

Yeah, I agree. But i do need a new computer/upgrade. Sadly I dont know whats better for my system (ie. are some components still able to compliment a new processor for example). I do like the idea of a media centre type set-up. would suit me. But again, im a computer user who does not have a technical knowledge of one so wouldn't know how to tell if my motherboard is useless or not.
    Thanks for your time

7. brite750

brite750

is your system 3 years old or older?, can you double your cpu speed with a new system? is your existing pc having problems? those are the kinds of things to consider, if you dont build your own, a new pc can get pretty expensive, although i dont see a lot of carry over components from your existing pc, usually your drives can be reused if they meet your needs, but any new system would undoubtably need a new case/psu/mobo/cpu/ram, and maybe a gfx card. You may need a new os as well to get the most from your new system.

8. brite750

brite750

9. Wardinho

Wardinho Thread Starter

Yeah brite, thats the one. me thinks im gonna need to get the wallet out. cost me £500 3.5 years ago!! Its an expensive game this

10. brite750

brite750

yes but you dont have to play right now if your current one fits the bill, it is getting a little long in the tooth though.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So what do you want to use a new computer for? Video editing, surfing the web, gaming, burning CD's/DVD's?

To watch TV you would need a fairly inexpensive add-in card such as Gotrootdude recommended above.

12. Wardinho

Wardinho Thread Starter

Its mainly for internet (whos isn't?) and gaming. Got a Soccer management game that I would like to speed up, or at least have that running while I do something else without it staggering along! Saving shows from the tv appeals too!

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, well for gaming onboard video is not recommended, nor is the bottom of line motherboard in the Media Center you posted above.

So are you looking for a pre-built unit or do you want to build it yourself? I don't really see anything in your current computer that you can re-use that wouldn't cause a slow-down in a new system.

14. brite750

brite750

yeah even if your hdd is large enough it may be 5200rpm instead of 7200, dont know what other drives you have but unless they're relatively new, your probably going to want to replace them.

15. Wardinho

Wardinho Thread Starter

I'm looking to build to save some money I would say, we all like a bit of that! I remember when this thing went like a rocket! Hehe. Time seems to be catching up on the old dear. If I go ahead and change at some point, what am I looking out for in terms of Processor, Motherboard, graphics and memory? Mainly Mo-board and graphics.
    I really do appreciate the help ive received on here

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice