1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worth upgrading Windows 7 Starter?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by smexxy, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smexxy

smexxy Thread Starter

Most new netbooks come with Windows 7 Starter. The only features that are restricted that I know of are inability to change desktop background, and no aero theme (is that the transparent GUI introduced in Vista?) Did they restrict system performance at all? That's really all that matters to me, since desktop background can be changed with 3rd party software.

Why did they make the Starter version in the first place? Are there more unavailable features that I'm not aware of? Couldn't it just ship with Home Premium? Paying $120 for desktop change and aero theme seems like a big waste of money IMO.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

So PC manufacturers could sell under powered low priced PCs

Most all PCs sold with starter edition cannot run Home premium or higher due to memory upgrade limitations, most are limited to 1gb ram, and you will need 1.5 - 3 gb ram to run Home premium or Pro.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's absolutely not true. Starter Edition is cheaper. It's sold with netbooks to keep costs down. It has nothing to do with system requirements. Start and Home Premium have the same minimum requirements. All new netbooks are sold with 1GB of RAM and can be upgraded to 2GB.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium on my netbook and find it to be quicker than Windows XP was. That's not my rose-colored glasses perception. The actual architecture of Windows 7 is much improved and can automatically adjust to run optimally on both low end and high end systems. That's something Windows XP couldn't do.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not true.

Respectfully disagree.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What models are you looking at that don't come with 1GB of RAM and can't be upgraded?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891545