1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cymas, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cymas

Cymas Thread Starter

This is something I've been thinking about off and on for about a year now. My current system runs great and I've had very few problems with it. However, it is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm just trying to look ahead and see what my options are. Preferably before something fails. :p I've done two minor hardware replacements in the past year--one RAM stick failed and the CMOS battery died. I have no reason to suspect anything else will, but you never know with these things. I've had this computer for nearly five years now, after all.

It's a desktop PC, a Gateway 5692. These are the exact system specifications. The only difference is that I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 recently--and believe it or not, I never really had any problems with Vista, I just felt like upgrading.

So, any thoughts? Usually what happens is I wait until my system has a catastrophic failure of some sort and then rush out to buy a replacement, which is what happened when I bought this. However, I think I made out pretty well for it being basically an emergency buy lol. In fact, I am highly impressed that this thing runs like lightning compared to the less than a year old computer my mother bought when her ten year old eMachine finally kicked the bucket early last year. That's the main reason why I'd consider upgrading instead of replacing.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Other than a ram upgrade, or hdd upgrade, you are going to be limited to the upgrades that you can do to your system. Your power supply is a rather weak unit, and you would have to find an AM2+ processor for any upgrade there. You could upgrade the Graphics but that would also mean upgrading the Power Supply for any significant Graphics card upgrade. Gateway computers and eMachines are made by the same company (Acer).

If it were me, I would keep using what I have and save the money until I could afford to either buy a better computer or build one (my personal choice) with the specs and parts I want.

3. Cymas

Cymas Thread Starter

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Never hurts to have a second opinion though. :) I assumed I would be limited just because of the age of the components anyway. I tend to be one of the "if it's not broke don't fix it" types when it comes to electronics.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally, I think this part of your post says it all :D One of the first things I ask anyone when they ask about upgrading is along the lines of 'why?'. If you current machine works fine and does all that you need it to do then why spend money on upgrades or replacing it?

Not saying you shouldn't, but I am tight as hell and don't fork out money unless I have too most of the time :cool:

5. Cymas

Cymas Thread Starter

Well, I'm not planning on upgrading/replacing it now. It's simply that the age of the system makes me feel that I should start looking ahead. I bought it in 2008 when my previous computer failed without warning (I did eventually recover the HDD, at least), and I'd really rather not get stuck making another impulse buy at the last second. I know very little about hardware so I just thought I'd ask for opinions while I was thinking about it. I'll put away some of this year's tax return and some of next year's, and that should give me a good head start. It's more of a contingency plan than anything. ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice