1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Would a Graphics Card Make Any Difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biagrin, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biagrin

biagrin Thread Starter

So I have recently got into video editing but this is a hardware related issue. The main issue is running video on my TV. I am having issues with running 720p video so anything higher than this will also be an issue. I run a desktop through a 55inch LG 4k TV.

Specs:

Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU:

Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 29 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM:
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z87-D3HP-CF (SOCKET 0) 28 °C

Graphics:

LG TV ([email protected])
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

Storage:
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 25 °C
    3726GB Seagate ST4000DM 000-1F2168 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 23°C
    3726GB Seagate ST4000DM 000-1F2168 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 23 °C

Optical Drives:
    PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M SCSI CdRom Device

Audio:
    Intel Display Audio

Now my PC cannot display 720p on the TV except at 30fps and low bit rate. Once you get to a high bit rate or 60FPS it cannot display. On doing a little research, it appears that the processor may be the issue. It seems that the maximum display it can use is 4k at 30fps. I make the assumption that the combination of processor limitation on the display coupled with the HD4600 graphics is causing the issues. If I change the resolution within windows to 1080p then everything is fine but obviously this can only be a temporary solution.

So ultimiately my question is: will adding a graphics card solve the issue or is the processor at its limit no matter what I do?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Integrated graphics
    Graphics Output eDP/DP/HDMI/VGA
    Motherboard
    1. 1 x D-Sub port
    2. 1 x DVI-D port
    3. 1 x HDMI port
    There are approximately 10 models of the LG 55 4K which is yours

Check which driver is installed for your integrated graphics
    https://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz
    see left hand column

The latest on the motherboard site is
    [15.33.19.64.3540]
    dated 2014

Yes in principle as the CPU is the provider of the Intel HD 4600 and your graphics with a card would then be the resolution of the GPU on the card
    Not directly related to the processor

That said the system is old technology and I would not recommend real expense for a graphics card on such system. Your capabilities are limited by the chipset of the board, and many other components
    I am not suggesting you should not put in discrete graphics, merely as I said not some top of the range, as it capabilities will be limited by the speed at which information can be passed across the system

biagrin likes this.
  3. biagrin

biagrin Thread Starter

My main option was to try and get a used graphics card to be going on with. The desktop is only used for watching films and stuff anyway so i dont want to be forking out just yet for a new system as i do everything on a laptop. Think ill have a browse at prices. Thanks for the advice.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice