1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Would a Radeon 9600Pro be worth buying nowdays?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CBN2xx, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CBN2xx

CBN2xx Thread Starter

Hey all.

I've got this... little question. I am no expert, so I figuered I'd ask here... Anyway, I've got enough money to buy a Radeon 9600Pro, my question is; would it be worth it? Will the graphics card still be of use in, let's say... two years? I mean, of course, it wouldn't be as good, but will it be useless as a FX5200 today? So, you think I should get it, or should I keep my money and save it until I have enough to buy a better card?

Thanks in advance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm somewhat of a gamer and I had a Radeon 9600XT prevously, needless to say I don't have it anymore. It was getting harder and harder to get good framerates without sacrificing quality.

But I did play Doom 3, Battleflied 2, and Farcry with it at decent FPS and quality. It did involve tweaking the video card and game settings.

I would say save up a little more and get a Geforce 6600 as they don't cost too much more and offer much better performance and quality.

3. silvershield

silvershield

Depends on what type of games you play... ATI is usually gets along better with RPGs and Flight simulators..etc...and nVidia usually works well with FPSs and other games...
    Also if your pc has a PCI-E slot, make sure you take advantage of that too.

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Try and pick one up second hand on eBay.
    If it doesn't impress you can sell it on for the same money and it's only cost you postage. ;)

5. Dark Elite

Dark Elite

I just bought a Saphire x1600 256mb AGP for 129.99 at NCIX, It brought my 3dmark scores up by 4000 points. Installed and ran off stock stuff. Worth the upgrade.

From a Radeon 9550, which can be flashed to a 9600. Dont get it, get the x1600/1300 or something from the "x" series. The normal xx00 series are obsolete now

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice