1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

would appreciate help playing old games

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bloom, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

First off I am new to all this
    I have win xp home, and would like to play old games (such as Full Throttle)

I have tried the win xp compatability mode with no success.

Have downloaded scummvm and dos box but I simply dont understand how to use them.

I looked at vm ware which allows multiple systems such as 95 and 98 but I dont see how that works because of the more powerfull system I have (which I assume would be too powerfull for the old games) ie 1 gig ram 128 vid card athlon 3000+

I tried to buy a win 98 PC but it seems harder than I imagined.

One person was reluctant to sell me a reconditioned xp when I asked him to uninstall xp and put in win 98.

I am rather puzzled I thought it would be simple to play old games but apparently not so

I would appreciate any help to enable me to play these old classics. Such as what system I would need, Or help re VMSCUMM or DOS BOX

Thank You for your advice

Jean Bloom

2. The Hound

The Hound

I can't vouch for it, but the author of this site seems to know a great deal about the classics--Leisure Suit Larry will always have place in my heart...

EDIT>>>Salvation Army, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity REStores, and yard sales often have older desktops at bargain basement prices. Ask your local geek as well--I have two I'll give away when they're complete again.

3. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

Thank you sir for your reply, I went to the site you reccomended and copied the instructions to look at. I am still looking for a win 98/95 PC. I am not too sure about installing win 95/98 with win xp.

Thank you for your reply

Jean Bloom

4. ~rate tee ohs

~rate tee ohs

try changing your screen resolution:)

5. The Hound

The Hound

There are some dual-boot wizards here who could probably give you explicit instructions for running Windows98 and XP on the same computer, but I don't have that expertise. Stick around though--the range of knowledge here is quite diverse.

Good luck.

6. zabusant

zabusant

Well, I can run you through Dos-box, I've used it before and it works great imo:)

Let say you've installed your game to "c:\odlgame" folder
    1. Start DodBox
    2. Type mount c c:\oldgame and press enter

(now from this point on, navigating in DosBox is very similar to DOS)

3. Simply type in the name of the executable of the game - let say fulltrottle.exe and enter (just look in the folder in which you installed/copied the game to see what it's named)

I hope this helps and you won't have to resort to Win95, I have yet to find an old game that couldn't be run in XP (with the help of dosbox and similar);)

The only thing to remember when using DosBox is, your keyboard is going to be acting a bit funny, so you'll need a bit of trial and error to find the :\ simbols:)

7. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies.

Tried changing the resolution down to no avail.

thank you

Jean Bloom

8. orijimi

orijimi

9. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

thank you all for your help much appreciated.

have downloaded scummvm AND dosbox will see which is the easier to use and HOW to use it is the main problem.

Thank you all

Jean Bloom

10. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

OOPS I did not mean to sound like a fool with respect to zabusants reply how to use. I meant whichever I think is the easier of the two.

zabusant I did not realise it was so easy ( I think)

in very simple terms

1 type " mount (space) c (spcace) c:\oldgame (OR name of game) ie full throttle

2 Press enter

type in fullthrottle.exe ( or name in folder in program files in win explorer)

3 Press enter

4 I assume the game will then start ( I hope)

11. zabusant

zabusant

Yes, the game should then start - basically you "mount" the directory the game is installed in - it could also be something like c:\program files\full throttle\ - it depends on where you install the game.

Don't worry, if you won't succeed, we can do it a step at a time for your specific situation.:)

Scummvm is easy to use if you have a version of the game that is specifically prepared for use with it - you probably don't so you would have to move some files and rename some files. It can be done, but it seems a lot of work to me:)

12. zabusant

zabusant

Great game BTW, one of the true classics:)

13. bloom

bloom Thread Starter

thank you mr zabusant

I have downloaded dosbox and the site had a huge amount of old games

will install and hopefully no problems if I do I will come back here

once again thank you for your help

Jean Bloom

14. zabusant

zabusant

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!