1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Would greatly appreciate advice on adding memory to laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evrydayearthling, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evrydayearthling

evrydayearthling Thread Starter

I was told by someone that adding memory to this laptop (see specs below) would be "very difficult." I'll be glad to provide more info, if needed.

****Laptop: HP 9000T, 2GB DDR2. Pentium 4, 120 GB hard drive, Intel(r) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5600 (1.83 GHz/2MB L2Cache), Motherboard: Quanta 30BD ID <DMI> Windows XP Pro. ****

I've added memory to desktops but not laptops. My husband has added memory to both but neither one of us are professional certified computer tech people.

I wonder what he meant by difficult? How difficult -- next to impossible or only doable by a pro or you'll have to buy and install extra part?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is even easier than a desktop.
    Underneath (look in the manual) there will be a cover held on by ( usually just one) screw.
    Remove this cover and you should see the memory slots.
    On that model I think there are 4 slots an I would imagine that 2 of them are occupied with 1Gb memory sticks.
    All you should need to do is buy two more sticks to make up the extra memory you want and put them in the other 2 slots.

3. arknorth

arknorth

The difficulties mentioned are probably the fact that laptop memory doesn't insert the same way as desktop memory. In a desktop, you simply drop the chip in, press until the two end clips snap shut, and as long as you chose the right memory and matched that guide slot in the middle, you're done.

In a laptop, the chips are inserted at a 45 degree angle, then pressed in until the two clips on either side catch it. It's that angle bit that causes more problems in my book than anything, because you need to know that you've inserted the chip ALL THE WAY IN before you press it down - I can't tell you how many laptops I've had to do this simple fix to because people think they've inserted the memory correctly, but haven't (or how many chips were returned fine because the purchaser thought they were bad).

A-N

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To make sure you get the right type of memory I would recommend using a website that either scans your computer or allows you to select your computer from a list such as http://www.crucial.com/

5. Alys

Alys

Part of the reason why it would be difficult is because most laptops are capped at 3GB for extra RAM, its not so much the issue of installing it (hell I went from 1 gig to 2 gigs in my own HP laptop) its more of what it can handle, and I can tell you that there is a 90% chance your 2 gigs is actually 2 1 gig cards, so if you do want to go to the cap of 3 you need to replace one of the 1 gig cards with a 2 gig, the only way you would be able to get past the 3 gigs is if you had a 64 processor which is very rare for a laptop.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its 32 bit versions of Windows that have a roughly 3GB memory limit, 64 bit versions of Windows can address more memory.

But its likely true that you have 2 x 1GB pieces already, and if its like most laptops it would only have 2 slots.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That model has four slots.

8. evrydayearthling

evrydayearthling Thread Starter

I went to crucial.com, as mentioned Triple6. It says the max this computer will take is 2GB, which is what I already have.

I e-mailed a computer repair shop in town, and he said it can't go beyond 2 GB because of the chipset.

I also happened to be at BestBuy last night with my daughter, and the GeeksToGo guy there said it can only take 2GB. However, we checked on my daughter's computer and we can upgrade hers from 1 to 2GB so I can still put everyone's good advice to good use regarding how to do it in a laptop versus desktop.

Thanks everyone.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh well thats too bad, but 2GB with Windows XP is already a lot of memory.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice