1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Would like some information on upgrading processor please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosterman, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roosterman

roosterman Thread Starter

I currently have a Gateway computer that I bought about a year and 4 months ago. I am not a hardware man but I want to upgrade the computer myself. I do know that I have an Intel Celeron 433 with 128 MB of RAM. I want to upgrade the processor as much as I can without having to buy a new motherboard if that is possible. I do not know what kind of motherboard I have either. I can't find it in any of my manuals either. I also do not know if I have PC133 RAM or PC100 RAM. I am assuming that I have PC100 RAM. If anybody can make some suggestions that would be great.

2. Sponsor

3. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey roosterman,
    Welcome to TSG!

One thing you can do is to go to www.belarc.com and load the Belarc Advisor onto your machine. It will give you some information that can help us in helping you. Actually a 433 isn't a bad processor, I would suggest just some more memory. My computer improved dramatically with more memory added.

good luck

4. RandyG

RandyG

Welcome to TSG!:)

What is the name of the Gateway System? Something like Select 433? You can go to http://www.gateway.com/support/default.asp and enter your Serial number there to get very detailed info on your system.

If you provide us with the Bios, we can also find out for you.

5. roosterman

Thanks for the links. I'll try to find some more out by using the http://www.belarc.com and the gateway site.

How do I know what BIOS I have?
    I have no idea.

Thanks

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

With a 433 Celeron, you will at the most have PC 100 dram and maybe have PC 66 in it. I would guess PC 66 since the 433 Celerons use a 66mhz bus.

Now without knowing the Motherboard and its bios version, there is no way of telling how fast a processor it will handle. You will also need to know how to change settings for the motherboard for the new processor. If not, the new processor will not run correctly and maybe not any faster than the one that you have now. And playing with the settings without knowing exactly what they do, could fry the processor, or make it unstable and crash all the time.

You might could check gateways support site to see if they have product documentation online.

7. stanggt2

stanggt2

533 is the most you will be able to put on your motherboard
    after 533 the Celeron went to coppermine and your board will not support that most likely
    I had the same problem with my e-machine
    so I would stick all the ram in it that it will handle

8. roosterman

Thanks for the help. I just might end up doubling the RAM or as much as I can.

Does anybody know any websites that sell RAM cheap?

9. Chris A

Chris A

Not always the cheapest. but good Service

Costco has some good deals too.

10. RandyG

RandyG

Using the Belarc Advisor, you will get your Bios version, but it will also be in your Bios Setup. When you boot the computer, you will see at the bottom to hit a specific key to enter setup. On the main page you will see the Bios info.

Gateway was good at using better motherboards for their Celeron systems. If it is one of the better ones, then you are not limited to replacing it with a Celeron chip, but could go with the PII, or even some of the 3 PIII's, especially if the motherboard was a Tabor.

Like I said, if you provide the Bios, or get lost in the Gateway Website, come back with your Bios version, and we will get you that info. If you can't egt any joy, then PM or email me your Serial number and I will get the info for you.

I have been just assuming that you were in the States, but if you aren't then tell me where you are, as that will affect the search.

11. roosterman

I will try that and see what I can come up with and get back to you.

Thanks

12. roosterman

RandyG:

I got the BIOS version using the belarc advisor and in my setup menu.

The Belarc Advisor give me this:

Main Circuit Board
    Board: Intel Corporation FJ440ZX AA729475-208
    Serial Number: IMFJ95102682
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. 4F4JZ0XB.15A.0008.P06.9906171056 06/17/99

The setup menu give me this:
    4F4JZ0XB.15A.0008.P06

I went to the Gateway site and used my serial number to look up my system but I couldn't find anything that give me any good specifics about my board or RAM.

My serial number is:

I also found this website (http://www.evertech.com/category.cfm?Category=14) that has a processor upgrade that I believe I might be able to use since I have the 66mhz fsb.

If you could help me out some more that would be great.

Thanks

13. RandyG

RandyG

Hi roosterman,

I found the following information for you,
    There are also updates to the BIOS, but if your system is working OK, I wouldn't worry about them.

You can get some more detailed info at http://www.gateway.com/support/techdocs/references/motherboard/4f4jz0xb/4f4jz0xb2.shtml#processor in reference to what you have to look for in a new Celeron processor, which, unfortunately, this motherboard was built to use. It is not the best of boards, having limited expansion capabilities (no AGP slot, only 3 PCI slots, only 2 RAM slots, and only Celeron processors, not to mention the onboard video and sound).

From the link you provided, it would seem that those processors would work, but you can run a utility they have to check to see the compatibility of upgrades. It is at http://www.evertech.com/pages.cfm?ID=64

14. roosterman

RandyG:

I have one more question. Again, I am new to hardware, but I am assuming that 100MHz means I use PC100 RAM? Of course since you said it is limited by the 66 MHz FSB on the processor would it be wise to just purchase the PC66 RAM instead? Seems like it would be cheaper and still make no difference?

I appreciate the help tremendously! It would have taken me a long time to find all this out by myself. I plan on deciding what I want to upgrade to (mainly depends on my budget :D ) and going from there.

I'll come back if I have any more questions.
    Thanks!

15. RandyG

RandyG

Yes, PC100 refers to it's MHZ. It doesn't matter if you buy PC100 or 66, as the board will take either. PC100 has the ability to be run at the lower setting. Since that is the case, buy the cheaper option, whichever it is.

Personal Opinion Alert!!!!!

If you are going to try to upgrade, as has already been suggested, just do the RAM. Your Motherboard is a bit of a limiting factor, and that should be one of your first priorities to change, not your processor. www.pricewatch.com is a good place to go, when you have decided what you want.

16. Chris A

Chris A

It will make no difference other then you will limit the value of the ram if you buy the slower one. 100mhz can be used in a lot of computers where 66mhz can only be used by a few..

only a few $ difference if that...

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/76018